MT PBS loses funding for satellite services

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I'm not 100% sure Sadoun but it sure looks nice. Give me a couple of years and I will tell you it looks like crap. Who know where technology will be then.

I got a 46" LCD a week ago and built a HTPC around a TT S2-3200. Along with a 4 footer for KU and your dual LNBF, couldn't be happier. Except for the need for a gbox now. Look for an order soon. But yes PBS looks great on the LCD.

I wonder if other programmers have non real time systems comparable to PBSes? Wouldn't it be especially ironic if the Publicly funded broadcasters have better, more sophisticated systems as compared to for-profit self supporting media sources?

NPR uses a file server system, too. Some radio broadcasters are heading that way, too (WW1, Premiere, ABC Radio, Excelsior).

Other video broadcasters use file server systems for news clip services, not for their network programming and letting affiliates automate the playout to air off the server.

um, really hate to tell you this but the stuff on AMC21 (as with 95% of the stuff up there on FTA) isnt intended for us. So we really dont have anything to complain about

Hate to tell me... Ya, right. :p

I don't have a problem withe the ephemeral nature of FTA. And, I have nothing to complain about when I paid nothing for it. But I did pay something for it. Then I hear it's not intended for us.

I hate to think that at least 50 million dollars of the people's money went to fund this system. Yet from all indications to me, NBC (and other broadcasters) can't financially justify a system like PBS'es NGIS. Otherwise they would do it. So, why does this not-for-profit corporation merit public dole to get advanced technology?

Did someone who stood to benefit (like the media server supplier) grease the skids in Congress? That would figure.

You want PBS SD...Watch Montana PBS or some of the feeds of it. But there is no 24/7 SD national feed on KU now.

Might as well go back to terrestrial PBS supplied by the local facist goons and their extortion drives that occur in ever increasing frequency.

As stated, Montana PBS is likely going away. Is NET available on 89W C-band still?

What about Louisana PBS? Is it on a regional beam, or is it hard to get because of DVB-S2? What kind of antenna would allow reception of that? Would it be worth trying to get on a Fortec 180cm prime focus dish?

I believe it is full HD not compressed, isn't it?

Uncompressed HD would take about 32 transponders to downlink. PBS uses MPEG2 compression for HD. When I've checked, their data rate is about that of a dedicated HD OTA channel. It still looks very good, although there are higher HD rates available on FTA.

PBS HD is STUNNING. Discovered that just this evening. Really shows off my new tv. Live on PBS....I have been watching you since the 70's. Now if I could catch Bert and Ernie in HD. hehe.

With the high res picture you would probably find that they look a little bit worn after this many years, kinda like an old sweater goes fuzzy. :D

As stated, Montana PBS is likely going away. Is NET available on 89W C-band still?
in 4DTV...yes
Also on DVB but AC-3 Audio

What about Louisana PBS? Is it on a regional beam, or is it hard to get because of DVB-S2? What kind of antenna would allow reception of that? Would it be worth trying to get on a Fortec 180cm prime focus dish?

its there and can be picked up. Seems like they are still working on getting it because when it first started out we had issues getting it in the northern states. Now its there past when the sun goes down :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)