Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bill_KY

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 2, 2008
Northern Kentucky
DiSEqC question

Right now I have four satellites hooked up to my 4 X 1 DiSEqC , which is the limit. I do have another DiSEqC 4 X1 switch.

Can I connect another DiSEqC switch to my existing 4 X 1 so I can add another satellite (which would bring the total to 5 satellites)? Or do I need a higher capacity 8x1 DiSEqC. ?

My receiver is the Fortec with a 1.2 DiSEqC capability (for a capability of 16 total satellites according to Wiki.) So I know I can go beyond four satellites on that receiver.

Where would I connect the other DiSEqC switch at? (If I can add another switch).

Would Port 4 attach to the second DiSEqC and then the satellite now connected to Port 4 becomes Port 5 and the new satellite to be added become Port 6 ?

Thanks...

There are some limitations, but here's how to easily control eight LNBs with most any receiver.
It's one of the posts in the Switches Simplified FAQ:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/fta-mpeg2-faqs/134124-switch-setups-simplified.html#post1344311
You may want to read the posts preceding that one for more background material.

Thanks

I am looking at the thread now.

This one diagram... instead of a 8 X1 and then connected to four 4x1

I want to do a 4 X1 and then connect to another 4 x1. If the 8x1 diagram is doable...then then the 4x1 + 4X1 should be doable.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/attachment.php?attachmentid=24281&d=1209777453

...If the 8x1 diagram is doable...then then the 4x1 + 4X1 should be doable.
....eh... no.
See following threads for more info:

meinename discusses comitted and uncomitted diseqc switches:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/191188-i-have-missed-something.html#post1993845

also read review by Iceberg:
Digiwave 8x1 uncomitted switch

If after all that, your head hurts as bad as mine, you'll see the wisdom of the first solution I proposed.
It's far more easy to understand and remember. :rolleyes:

Your best bet is the Ecoda 22khz switch, and 2 4x1 Diseqc switches , as Anole outlines.
The Diseqc 1.2 protocol is for motor control and won't help you here.
IF your Classic NA supported Diseqc 1.1, then you could handle a lot more lnbf's via the committed and uncommitted switching, BUT that is not the case with your receiver.

The Ecoda 22khz switching is very reliable.
:)

Can I use this for a 22 khz switch?

Attachments

• DSCN0646.JPG
    DSCN0646.JPG
    308.9 KB · Views: 131
As others have suggested, use a 22KHz switch, then two 4X1 Diseqc switches. Universal lnbs cannot be used with 22KHz switches. Other than that, it's pretty straightforward and easy to setup.

I have been using this setup (one 22KHz switch and two 4X1 Diseqc switches) for over a year now with no problems.

As others have suggested, use a 22KHz switch, then two 4X1 Diseqc switches. Universal lnbs cannot be used with 22KHz switches. Other than that, it's pretty straightforward and easy to setup.

I have been using this setup (one 22KHz switch and two 4X1 Diseqc switches) for over a year now with no problems.

So, universal lnbs can't be used on either side of the 22KHz switches? Or behind a 4x1 Diseqc switch on either side of the 22KHz switch, either? I don't have one, I'm just mentally planning for the future.

Re-read the post in the Switch FAQ.
If it's still not clear, maybe I didn't do good enough job explaining. ;)

Not tryin' to be a hard ass. It IS a complicated and convoluted problem.
If you really absolutely positively need Universals to run in their low band, then the design has some shortcomings.
If you don't need low-band, then ya should be able to use the idea as presented. :up

The rule has usually been universals and 22k switches don't play together...there is a workaround with them

I use to have a 22k switch setup and a Universal on the 0k side and a standard on the 22k side. The Universal only got the low band (up to 11700) because the 22k switch was the "22k" switching.

There has been some folks using a ecoda 22k switch with a universal. If you put the universal LNB on the 22k side of the ecoda, you'll get the high band because the ecoda passes 22k tones

simple answer...no it wont work. You cant get both bands (low and high)
but you can try and see what happens :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)