multi dish and & or multi LNB's set up questions & idea's

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Jimmy_c

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
Norwalk Wi
Hello,I am not sure were to post the few questions I am about to ask. I thought I would post a new thread, & someone who understands the forum better might move it to the right place.ok so here is the deal. late last summer I installed a FTA dish, a GEO sat pro with an older mercury 2 receiver It had 2 LNBs and a DISEqC switchthese were the standard type and a dual bracket. Being as I am in a wheelchair and when I walk I use a walker it took a bit longer but I got it done. I tried and tried to line up G19 and SES1 aka AMC 4. I could only line up with one LNB on G19 so just went with the signal LNB set up. years ago I got Prime star and for some reason I had the dual LNB's and arm. what can I use it for as far as FTA? I also have a set of dual LNB's from Dish network. They are still on the dish, the dish is not mounted that said I have the same dish without the LNBs on the house. What I thought was if I put the Dish network LNB's on the dish network dish on the house and then ran coax to the DISEqC switch I might be able to get dish networks free preview channel as least. I also thought about adding a dish and using the other LNB I have from my Geo sat pro aimed at a different sat and use the DISEqC switch to switch but the only other dishes I have are the small dish network dishes and they are to small to use for FTA. I am looking for ideas to either add a dish or tips on lining up 2 LNB's in the dual bracket on my GEO sat pro dish. I plan on getting a motor for my GEO sat pro but it will be next spring sometime. In short what can I use the Prime star LNB’s & the Dish network LNBs for with my Geo sat pro dish if any thing? Pretty sure the little dishes are not useable for what I want to do. I am right about that right? I am pretty happy with my current set up and G19. I was just thinking ABC, NBC and CBS feeds and maybe PBS would be cool. ThanksJimmy

You may find the Switches Simplified FAQ of some help.

DishNet dual LNBF dish is usually the Dish 500 (but it might be something else, I've not kept up).
Depending on the age of the 500, it may be of three or four designs.
Later ones consume significant current and have built in diseq switching
Earlier ones may have no or unique switching.
Pictures from front and back might narrow it down.
However, gone are the days when Dish had anything unscrambled and worth watching.

If your dual Primestar hardware is complete, we can get you some ideas on where to aim it and how to wire it in.
If all you have is just part of it, hold onto the pieces 'till you can locate the missing ones. :)
Again, pictures would help.

edit: for any dishes you might have, also include the height and width oh the reflector.

ok thanks fir the reply. I will wheel outside some time today and take some pictures and figure out how to go about posting themthanksJimmy

well the two small dishs are 20'' high by 22 & 1/2 wide. To small for FTA. but there are the two LNBFs form the one I might be able to use and of course the spare LNBF from the GeoSat pro and the dual LMBF bracket. being as these dish are to small. I am looking arourd for larger ones. the prime star arm has 2 LMBF's. I might be able to use them for something.I hope the picture posted rigt. One thought is the little dishes might make good reflexers fpr TV antennasJimmy

lets tra again here is the picyures up asked about

Attachments

• Picture disk 001.jpg
    Picture disk 001.jpg
    150.9 KB · Views: 170
  • Picture disk 002.jpg
    Picture disk 002.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 178
  • Picture disk 003.jpg
    Picture disk 003.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 172
  • Picture disk 004.jpg
    Picture disk 004.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 175
  • Picture disk 005.jpg
    Picture disk 005.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 173
  • Picture disk 006.jpg
    Picture disk 006.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 179
Yea, your two little dishes are the regular Dish 500.

The big dual LNBF could still be any of three models.
As I recall, they are identified my molded-in text or a sticker on the front, and how many connectors they have on the back.
Possible answers are: none, dishPro, dishPro Plus, 2, 3, 4.
Not sure knowing the answer is useful, as their barker channel is useless. :)

We do have a minority of members who've logged hot transponders on some birds.
I even whipped up a DirecTV Phase III dish with an Invacom several years ago.
But that was for the particularly easy Whitesprings. :)
Dish 500's are harder to use because the LNB arm is short to accommodate their plastic 2-LNB holder.
Bigger dishes from DishNet and DirecTV, say 30" wide, are better candates and a lot less frustrating.

Your Primestar looks like a single LNB and feedhorn for one of their elliptical dishes.
The arm length varies to match each particular model.
Without the correct dish, it's just a wall decoration. :)
Dont throw it away; someone might use the feedhorn or that old LNB. (we call 'em Dove Bars) ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)