Multi HD receivers + OTA?

jdsabin1

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 15, 2005
Central IA, USA
I have done a lot of searching to try and get an answer before I post but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I currently have a 622 (not multi-room), a 211, and two 811's (connected via a Dish 1000/Dishpro Plus 44 Switch). In the near future I plan to add a DP 34 switch and add one more 211 and a 301 receiver to round out my sets throughout the house.

Since Dish does not carry my locals in HD, I figured it was time to just use an OTA antenna to get the locals in HD. I went to antennaweb and it told me the stations were relatively all in the same general area approximately 18 miles away. I do not have any obstruction and can mount an antenna on my roof without any problems. The color code for my signal was red if that means anything.

With all that said, is there a way to mount a quality HD antenna to the roof (close to the dish itself), and then use a diplexor to connect the OTA antenna to the existing coax, and then use more diplexors (one on each receiver in the house) to be able to get both satellite *and* OTA HD locals on each television?

If this is something I can't do I'll probably pass on OTA as I do not want to run even more coax into the house to each receiver. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

You'll need to split the OTA line and use add a diplexor to each line going to each receiver that you want to connect to OTA. (after the switch, the switch will not pass OTA)

You might want to use...

A Super Home Node. It combines OTA with TV2 out and provides proper isolation to prevent rebroadcast of TV2 out signal.

It splits signal 4 ways.
Remember that the more times you split, the more degradation of signal. If not using a Super Home Node, you could use diplexers and a signal amp.

Mount your roof antenna just as you would mount a roof antenna.

Use a thirty mile antenna.

To use the incoming line:

Antenna in to ant. on diplexer , sat. in to power pass side.
At (before) the switch, use a diplexer to pull the signal back out.
Power pass side to switch, ant side to splitter. From splitter to the other side of the switch, into diplexer ant. in, from switch to power pass side.
At receiver, diplexer on incoming line, ant. to antenna, power pass side to receiver.
Highdef Jeff

Bumping this up with another question. The diplexers I have seen all have one antenna and one satellite in and then of course the one connector out that the coax gets reconnected to.

With the Dish 1000, there are four coax cables coming off the Dish itself. Does it matter at all which of those coax cables I use to put the diplexer on when I add the OTA antenna?

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts