Multi Sat Installs

Roadwarrior

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 18, 2006
Pacific NW
Alright, I've seen this mentioned before on here, but since I do not work for a retailer I've never really had the oppurtunity to try it(I think it falls under custom work, which we don't really do).

If a customer were wanting, lets say, 4 orbitals for 2 dual tuners(maybe 119,110,61.5 and 148) and a 44 switch was not an option. Am I to understand that I could use 4 DP21 switches to each sat input to receive that 4th orbital? I know it has been discussed using one 21 with a 44 switch to receive a 5th?

I'm a decent installer I just don't usually have the time to experiment with this stuff.

To me it sounds like a problem waiting to happen.

In this scenario I would be using 2 500 dishes and 3 DP duals to a 34 switch for the first 3 orbitals. Then there would have to be a 3rd dish with 2 more duals and four lines going to the 21 switches. I don't see this working, personally.

Yes, it will work. Don't worry. :)

Think of it THIS way. You'll agree that a DP twin is really a "DP 22 switch"....two sat feeds in, with a combined (110/119) output feeding two tuners, right? And with THAT particular LNB, it's pretty common to put a DP 21 in the mix to combine, say, a 61.5?

With that thinking, you have two switches in the mix. That's all your proposed scenario (DP34 feeding a DP21) is accomplishing. :)

I would expect difficulty getting 2 DP Duals on the same dish to see the same slot, probably doable with a little tweaking. You should be able to use a DP splitter off each output of a Dual to get 4 lines, then cascade off the 4 outputs of the DP34 through the 4 DP21 switches.

More combinations are shown on the EKB Dish Switch Selector charts.

Roadwarrior there are some crazy configs that work but whats more scary is that the engineers have put in every possible configuration into the software for the receivers that could possibly be done. On a trouble call with a signal issue I ran a checkswitch that came back with a six sat config with cascading to some unknown switch types that I never heard of like a sw 42 + something else weird.

I don't doubt it,Van. I suppose my inexperience is showing here, but I can't think of a better way to learn.

I'm curious about the DP splitter that Boba mentioned. Does this stand for Dish Pro? Do they make some kind of powered splitter specifically for this type of application? If I can get this figured out I'm going to play with it when I get a day off, with my own system. I must have 30 DP duals, switches of all kinds and Dish kits galore.

A DishPro Compliant Splitter passes power and DiSEqC commands on only one side so the LNBF doesn't get confused/fried.

At one time I tried dual DP21s fed using a PO Splitter (Plain Old) and while it would work after a successful check switch, it probably took a half dozen or more tries before I could get the check switch to complete on a dual-tuner system, one or the other tuner would show "X" for that slot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)