Multi-sport package

billdz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
USA
On Dish's web page about the Multi-Sport package, it says you can get it for $5.99 a month. However, when I called about this, they said the price had increased to $7 a month, effective June 3.

Was wondering if the price is the same regardless of your basic subscription package. I have 120+, which apparently is the minimum qualifying package (they said I could not get Multi-Sport if I downgraded from 120+ to 120). At $7 a month, this is a reasonable price, as I would be getting NFL Network, NBA, and NHL, in addition to what I already have. But if you have the 200 package, you already have NFL, MBA, and NHL, so you would be adding only the regional sports channels, NFL RedZone, and ESPN Classic. Do 200 subscribers also haveto pay $7 a month forMulti-Sport, or do they get a lower price to compensate for the fact that they are already paying for 3 of the key channels in the Multi-Sport package?

Thanks,
bill

You can get the multi-sports package on a yearly basis for around $50 per year. (This may have increased June 2). To sign up use the online chat. Once you get any yearly package, you cannot change programming online. (But can change via telephone).

I believe the monthly price is the same for everyone.

Was wondering if the price is the same regardless of your basic subscription package. I have 120+, which apparently is the minimum qualifying package (they said I could not get Multi-Sport if I downgraded from 120+ to 120).
l

wait, so if i want the multisport and I am in the 120, i have to upgrade to the 120+? I was told when i signed up that i could get the multi-sport anytime i wanted with the 120 even the installers said so.

wait, so if i want the multisport and I am in the 120, i have to upgrade to the 120+? I was told when i signed up that i could get the multi-sport anytime i wanted with the 120 even the installers said so.

That is what they told me this morning: no MultiSport if you just have 120, you need at least 120+ to "qualify" for Multi. I went into the call thinking it would cost me just an extra $1 a month to add Multi (downgrade to 120 would save me $5 a month, adding Multi $6 a month) but was told I'd have to pay $7 a month to get it (even though Multi includes the 2 regional sports channels that are the only difference between 120 and 120+).

Would love for someone to say that the rep was wrong. I'll try chat and ask about the yearly.

bill

Basically all the Top 120+ is, is the Top 120 with your regional sports channels. That is just $5 more a month. Then you can add the Multisports Package for $7 a month now.

Okay, to add to this question,,,,do these channels come in HD for the extra $7/mo? (I would be a new sub so I should qualify for the Free HD for Life, I think).

jeaves5 said:

I would necessarilly believe everything an installer tells you when it comes to programming packages. Outta all 48 guys outta my office, there may be 2 that keep up with programming. Better to talk to a CSR. they have better access to what the current prices are. Or come to this forum where 90% are more knowledgeable about programming.

I just was on the chat. She said it is impossible to order Multi-Sports without at least 120+. She also said you could order it for $69 a year, with the right to cancel.

I just was on the chat. She said it is impossible to order Multi-Sports without at least 120+. She also said you could order it for $69 a year, with the right to cancel.

This would be absolutely correct. It's really not that confusing.

Okay, to add to this question,,,,do these channels come in HD for the extra $7/mo? (I would be a new sub so I should qualify for the Free HD for Life, I think).
Yes you get get the HD channels, but in the regional channels HD is only turned on for certain games it is not on all the time.

Seems confusing to me, no mention on the website of a 120+ minimum, and jeaves5 was told 120 was enough. Also no mention of the $69 annual fee, which is significantly less than paying $7 monthly.

@WTguy - The chat lady said some of the channels were available in HD. Some channels seem to be partially in HD and partially in SD. I know the announcer on my regional Fox Sports will sometimes say something like, "Tomorrow's game will be in standard definition but we will be back on HD on Saturday."

Yes, you will get those channels along with Big Ten Network, and yes, multi-sports subscribers pay the $7 no matter what other package they have.

In Big10 markets you do not need the multisports pack to get the BIg10 network. Big10 is included with your local RSN in MN, WI, MI, OH, IN, IL and parts of PA

The chat lady said some of the channels were available in HD. Some channels seem to be partially in HD and partially in SD. I know the announcer on my regional Fox Sports will sometimes say something like, "Tomorrow's game will be in standard definition but we will be back on HD on Saturday."
There are 2 factors here:

1) The sports networks don't produce every game in HD (yet)

2) Dish only allocates enough HD channel capacity to broadcast a handful of games in HD each day. So even though your local team might be broadcasting a game in HD, you will only be able to watch it in HD if it happens to be one of the games that Dish picked for HD coverage that day.

I have only seen a reds game or two in HD on FOXCN.

I have only seen a reds game or two in HD on FOXCN.
Should be more than that -- FS Ohio committed to covering all games that they broadcast in HD this season:

All 145 Cincinnati Reds Games in HD

The quantity of games in HD is definitely increasing, and with most MLB teams being covered in 100% HD I'm anxious to see what that will mean to other leagues this fall. By contrast, most NHL and NBA teams had about 70% coverage in HD last season.

At least when Dish used to slight a game for a HD channel spot it was a game that wasn't covered in HD anyway -- now with the broadcast schedules ramping up, that approach is becoming woefully inadequate.

espaeth said:
College sports are still predominantly SD, and not all leagues produce all games in HD yet. (See: NHL, NBA)

Just to use a local example, this is the first year that the Twins have broadcast their entire season in HD.

Even most college sports is in HD.

We are talking about the sports pack, which means RSN, so games in HD or SD on OTA broadcast are of no concern. All Pro sports on RSNs are now in HD. If the provider carries the HD broadcast is a different issue.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)