Multi-switches in parallel. Need advice please.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

TGBlackheart

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2007
Houston Tx
I have a couple of new (and free) 3x4 multiswitches and wanted to wire them in parallel to get 8 outputs.

I was wondering if there are any pitfalls to doing this?

Are there some multiswitches that don’t work well in parallel?

Also I know I need power passing high freq splitters. Do both ports need to be power passing or just one?

Can you just cascade two 3x4 multiswitches? Are there any pitfalls doing it by just cascading them? I know it will only have 6 outputs when they are cascaded. Any other considerations?

Thanks in advance.

sure you can cascade them but make sure they are wired properly and make sure to wire from one output to the 18v on both multi switches and same for 13v

dont want to screw it up :)

When wiring multi-switches in parallel, do the splitters have to have both ports power passing? Or can just one port on the splitters be power passing?

I believe that the splitters should only pass power on one leg. And the power pass side of the splitter must go to the same multiswitch.

Just out of curiosity.

What purpose are splitters that have more than one power passing port?

Also what is the power passing for? I assume it powers the LNB?

Last edited:
Anyone know what all ports power passing splitters are used for?
The answer to your question depends on whether the multiswitches are powered or unpowered.
If they are unpowered you should only run them in parallel (NOT cascaded) and you will need splitters that pass power on both ports. This because the LNBs are powered from the receivers and if you only power pass on one port then if the only receiver connected to a particular LNB is on the non-power passing port the LNB will not work.
If they are powered you can cascade them and you only need splitters that pass power on one port (although dual-port power-passing splitters will work fine also). This is because the powered multiswitches have power to the LNBs even when there is no receiver requesting that particular LNB.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)