multi switches

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

moonman88

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 12, 2006
I was thinking about getting a Toroidal dish as opposed to getting a dish and a motor. I will be hooking it to multiple TVs so I don't think a motor will be a good idea. My question is, what kind of switches do I need if I use all the LNBs? I'm looking at some 5x8 switches but that's pretty expensive! The pricing on the 3x4 seems more reasonable. Can I stack two or three 3x4 switches together? If so, how do I do it?

Also, is the Toroidal T55 (20 inch) good enough? I did want to get the T90 (36 inch) but the shipping on that is crazy!

TIA!

how many receivers are we talking? Also how many LNB's (I guess which satellites do you want to look at?)

If its just 2 receivers, use Diseqc switches. Most will accept 4 inputs (4 LNB's) and go to the reciever.

The T55 wont work for FTA...Its only a 20" dish. You need at least a 30" dish for KU band.

I'll have to spring for the T90 then :(

Probably 3 or 4 receivers. I don't know what satellites yet. When I find a new one, I'll add another LNB. Let's say I had 7 LNBs. How do I hook them together?

I would take a look at Lyngsat or http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistKuBandUS.html for a list of channels and satellites

You have to remember on them Toridal dishes the LNB's have to be at least 4 degrees apart and you need special LNB's. Dont get me wrong, I'm not trying to deter you from getting one but for the cost it may be easier to get a couple motorized setups.

As for the LNB hookup, multiswitches only allow 2 satellite hookups. For more than that, you would need one heckuva setup with 22k switches and Diseqc switches.

You could use 4 4x4 switches and 4 diseqc switches.

2 LNB's would go into each of the 4 multwisitches...then take one output from each multiswitch to a 4x1 diseqc. Then the ouotput to receiver.

I made a crude drawing...it only shows 2 recevers (the R)...LNB's are "L" and the little boxes below the L are 4x4 multiswitches. For more than 2 recievers, just multiply the wires from the Multiswitch to the Diseqc

Attachments

• Doc1.doc
    28.5 KB · Views: 368
Iceberg said:
As for the LNB hookup, multiswitches only allow 2 satellite hookups. For more than that, you would need one heckuva setup with 22k switches and Diseqc switches.
DMS has a neat picture of that - :clap

http://www.dmsiusa.com/multiplelnbfs.htm

<edit>
Agreed Iceberg - I missed the multi-receiver part. You diagram isn't too far off how I'm going to end up if I get my SG2100 back in action with the Bud slave tie-in.
</edit>

Last edited:
but if he wants 3 recievers, then that wont work Shawn...see my crude drawing above for something like that.

Hey Iceberg,

In your diagram you have 2 wires going from each LNB to a 4x4 switch. Are those dual LNBs? Can you use single LNBs and hook 4 LNBs to one 4x4 switch?

Take a look at my diagram.

Attachments

• wiring.GIF
    wiring.GIF
    5.1 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
yes those are duals....no you can't hook 4 singles.

Since they need to switch between H or V polarity, you need 2 lines from each LNB. If you only use one side, then you’d only have one polarity

If you are worried about the high cost of shipping the larger Torroidal antenna, consider this solution, which I think is more workable and reliable. Using either an old Channel Master 84-E (28 x 39 inch) elliptical antenna, or the Patriot 85-E (which is an antenna that is still in production), modify either for multiple satellite reception using one of the multifeed techniques that we have illustrated at
www.global-cm.net

Antennas in this size are lucky to allow 4 degree spacing, but if you were to get two of them, that problem would be solved.
Also, they ship at the 70 pound (Oversize 2) rate each, rather than the Oversize 3/90 pound rate charged for the T-90.

In any case, you will have a better system with more flexibility,
and also a more rigid pair of antennas than that offered with the T-90. Something that large needs to be well supported in order to keep its accurate parabolic shape over time, and I have great concerns with that antenna based upon the results of one that I dropped less than 2 feet. Not rigid at all, and it bent over into an unusable shape. Higher quality antennas are generally thicker in material diameter, and / or are better supported with a rear structure.

Iceberg

There is an error on your drawing. The 4x4 switch is not connected as you have shown

The 4x4 switch has the following inputs:

Sat1-13V | Sat1-18V | Sat2-13V | Sat2-18V

So basically you can hookup only 2x Dual ouput LNBFs to each one of these 4x4 switches.

Sadoun

I cant see my drawing right now (I drew it on a program at work) but I have 2 LNB's going to a 4x4 switch...this is dupplicated 4 times

one output from each multiswitch goes to one port of a Diseqc

So for setup (going left to right) it would be

port 1 22k off
port 1 22k on
port 2 22k off
port 2 22k on
port 3 22k off
port 3 22k on
port 4 22k off
port 4 22k on

I have an Invacojm quad going to an old Phase II switch (4 in 2 out). One goes ot my Coolsat. The other output goes to a 2 way diseqc switch which goes to my Fortec.

port 1 is my fixed G10 dish
port 2 22k off is my KU side of the Invacom
port 2 22k on is the DBS side of the Invacom

:shocked Opps, sorry Iceberg, my mistake. I didn't intend you in the message. Your drawing is fine.

I meant to address moonman88's drawing. :)

yeah I didnt even see the drawing he did...I responded orignally at the post.

You cant use only one line to the multiswitch and expect both polarities :)

Thanks guys that clears things up a lot! I always thought that each output of a LNB had combined polarities so that single was for 1 receiver, dual for 2, quad for 4 and that switches was a way to combine the signals. I thought I could avoid getting duals and get singles with switches. :p

To confirm... if I wanted to connect 3 receivers, based on Iceberg's drawing, I would need to connect one output from each 4x4 switch to another diseqc switch correct?

correct

one output from each multiswitch (the little box right below the LNB's in the picture) to the Diseqc switch (each receiver would have it that way)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)