Multicast Diginets

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

localclassictvfan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 26, 2015
Lafayette, Louisiana
Does anyone think someday that most markets will receive the majority of the multicast diginets.

Lafayette La. DMA has MeTV, Antenna TV, This TV, Heroes & Icons (July 1Launch), and at least one other on KLFY. That leaves Justice, Decades, Buzzr, Laff, Get, Grit, Escape, Movies!, Bounce, Retro Group. I would love to have all these great stations like the larger cities that are part of th O&O's or the Hearst and Raycom Medias. Any chance this will be a reality in the future

Does anyone think someday that most markets will receive the majority of the multicast diginets.

Lafayette La. DMA has MeTV, Antenna TV, This TV, Heroes & Icons (July 1Launch), and at least one other on KLFY. That leaves Justice, Decades, Buzzr, Laff, Get, Grit, Escape, Movies!, Bounce, Retro Group. I would love to have all these great stations like the larger cities that are part of th O&O's or the Hearst and Raycom Medias. Any chance this will be a reality in the future
Why not start your own station with all those subchannels available you should be able to negotiate contracts to make your station instantly successful.

That leaves Justice, Decades, Buzzr, Laff, Get, Grit, Escape, Movies!, Bounce, Retro Group.
there are more than that

I would love to have all these great stations like the larger cities that are part of th O&O's or the Hearst and Raycom Medias.
lets look at reality here. I'll try to explaon it so even you understand

1. Bigger markets will get the subchannels. The bigger the market the odds of getting subchannels is greater. But even some larger ones don't get the "more common" ones
2. How many RF stations are in the market. That is huge. If there arent that many (as in smaller markets) the odds diminish.
2A. In those small markets are there any missing networks? If so they get priority over a diginet
3. Who is the owner of the station? Some are subchannel friendly. Some are not.
3A. Is the station O&O? If it is then the options again diminish due to the O&O rule. You wont see Cozi on a Fox O&O and you wont see Buzzr on a CBS O&O as example

Thats what it comes down to. Lets look at my "market" Minneapolis, MN. The reason I quoted it is because I am 95 miles away yet still in the market. (I technically get CBS and FOX via translators.ABC is analog)
-CBS is O&O so Decades is the subchannel (there was no subchannels on it before that)
-FOX and MY are both O&O so Movies! is there. We don't have Buzzr yet due to an existing contract with Bounce. And unlike the other 13 FOX O&O stations that had Bounce we don't have a Univison O&O for it to go to. Also due to a technical glitch they have FOX on 2 stations. When the conversion hit FOX had an issue as they went back to RF9 (My is on RF29) so for 4+ years they had SD counterparts on each other station. Now RF29 has both FOX & MY in HD (along with Movies!) and RF9 has Bounce and another HD version of Fox for the folks who live in the rural areas
-NBC is owned by Gannett. Justice was added on 1/1 per the contract. We also have WXNation partially due to the Gannett contract but mainly because the guy who started it (Paul Douglas) was the WX guy on KARE 11 (NBC) for like 15 years
-CW is Sinclair so we get Get and Grit by default.
-ABC is locally owned by Hubbard Broadcasting. They also own an Independent station. ABC has H&I (was Live Well til January). The Independent has Me, This and Antenna TV.

Also Low Powered stations can be really good as long as they aren't owned by religious groups. We have 7 low powered stations
-One is Univision (the owner has like 4 or 5 LP stations...Univision on all)
-One is Telemundo and DrTV. The owner (DTV America) has a list of nets they associate with. Since the main ones (My, Antenna and Univision) are taken they took Telemundo
-5 are religious (EWTN, 3ABN, The Walk and Cornerstone and Daystar)

Think your market stinks? My old one (Duluth, MN) had one diginet. MeTV. CBS had CW, NBC had My and FOX had no subs (ABC took Me....Hubbard owned)

Didnt take me long to figure it out Iceburg. The owner of the station. I been looking at all the stations that have diginets and well your right the owner of the station. Gannett, Raycome, Hearst, Media General, Quincy Newspapers.

KATC is Owned by Evening Post runned by Cordillera CommCommunications. DT2 is CW (KLWB lost the affiliation in 2010). I emailed them and the local tv rep said they werent adding a dt3 at this time.

KLFY is owned by Media General DT2 was cut off this week. I was told they were in negotiations with a replacement. I asked the Corporate Rep if the likeliness of a DT3 (some dt4). No answer yet. KLFY said there maybe a slight possibility.

KADN 15 and KLAF 46 owned by Nexstupid, sorry i mean Nexstar, who owns the most stations out any of the b others. I call them the destruction of the diginets. They hosted a conference early last month and said KLAF will be NBC 46 July 1. The MNT will move to KADN DT3. However I read up on Nexstar and alot of the stations that were purchased had no DT2 or if one a cw or mnt. The stations that had a diginet dt2 like me, antenna, this. Those diginets were kept. KLAF will be a full hd. I got a hold of KADN and was told that 46 might get one but dont wait soon for it.

KXKW 32.1 is This. The first diginet was formerly on 50.1 till they launched MeTV in 2011. KDCG was bought by the owners of KXKW/KLWB and well in 2012 Antenna came about. Heroes and Icons is scheduled to launch on July 1 on KDCG.

If we had a gannett, raycom, hearst, and a sinclair owned stations i'd be a happy camper.

I was told by a source that justice and decades was launching on KLFY (media general)

Movies and grit was launching on 32. Now if the source is right fine but most likely not but could be for one of them

Iceburg thanks. Now i know what to look for in the future

Boba if I could afford it I would. However my first thing would buy out the cw from Cordillera then make that an actual tv station like when it was klwb. Secondly i would get at least 2 diginets which would be either grit/escape, or decades/movies. Then buy and build a translator tower like KXKW and whichever diginets left line it up on that. KATC could add LAFF TV.

If I could I would

One other thing is BANDWIDTH

each RF channel is allotted X amount of bandwidth (19.2 MBps is around that) and they can decide how to distribute that bandwidth for each subchannel. Most cases they give the main (network) station the most and the rest gets minimal. So while YOU want each station to carry 2 or 3 subchannels, reality is those subchannel picture will look like hell.

Lets use my "market" again (Minneapolis, MN)
Our ABC has only one subchannel. However they use 1/2 their bandwidth for that (my opnion) STUPID mobile TV. So ABC looks like crap. Really sad when the satellite station (KSAX) looks better than the mothership (KSTP)...KSAX has 2 SD subchannels and no mobile. I have access to both (well at night.....) and there is a big difference when watching the NBA finals as example
NBC (KARE 11) is a Gannett owned station. They have WXNation and Justice. They give both minimal bandwidth so it looks like a you tube video blown up alot of times.

KATC is Owned by Evening Post runned by Cordillera CommCommunications. DT2 is CW (KLWB lost the affiliation in 2010). I emailed them and the local tv rep said they werent adding a dt3 at this time.
If you look at what they own they do CW and thats it.

KLFY is owned by Media General DT2 was cut off this week. I was told they were in negotiations with a replacement. I asked the Corporate Rep if the likeliness of a DT3 (some dt4). No answer yet. KLFY said there maybe a slight possibility.
doubt they would get anything beyond a subchannel. And again only the higher ups know what they **Might** add

I got a hold of KADN and was told that 46 might get one but dont wait soon for it.
may I suggest playing Aerosmith's debut album...track 3 ;)

If we had a gannett, raycom, hearst, and a sinclair owned stations i'd be a happy camper.
If I could put up a 200 foot tower to get Minneapolis and Duluth on a consistent basis I'd be a happy camper. But I guess we both can wish right?

I hate to say it but locally owned (or smaller cluster) stations have the best option of subchanels. Also the station in question (Antenna, Me, This etc) can refuse affiliation for whatever reason

I Got Areosmith beat on that 3rd track. Ole friend of mine's cousin sang one called KEEP ON DREAMIN'. I will be nice to you up north folks as respectful as I can being from South Louisiana. Cordillera has diginets on quite a few stations (excluding the d.f.g.a. cw and mntv). I got with the station manager at KATC and told him some of Cordillera stations have diginets and he already is aware. However the bad thing is that KATC is 1080 and the DT2 us 720 so the subchannel thing maybe a goner. Whatever owns KLFY more than likely will only add the DT2 like you said earlier. However I did a little checking and some Meredith, Sinclair, and Gannett have two diginets with the main affiliate. So Media General two thumbs down. Then there is KLWB/KDCG/KXKW, delta media corporation stations, locally owned thankfully with This, Me, Ant, and Heroes/Icons. May end up with Grit and Movies later on way down the road. As for 15 and 46 well at least we have the NBC station so kudos to the ownership of these two stations. I already know about the bandwith b.s. Like I said if KATC, KADN, and KLAF was owned by Gannett, Sinclair, Meredith. We would have more. Now I am glad we have the diginets we have because some places all they have is MeTV.

Cordillera has diginets on quite a few stations (excluding the d.f.g.a. cw and mntv).
check again. MeTV on one and weather on an aother. Otherwise its CW

However the bad thing is that KATC is 1080 and the DT2 us 720 so the subchannel thing maybe a goner.
KATC is ABC affiliated and they are 720p
You can theoretically fit 2 HD and a SD on one RF station. Thats what Nexstar is gonna do in a few weeks. 2 HD and a SD on their full power station
Gray knows how to do it. They do NBC in 1080i, FOX in 720p and Me in 480i in North Dakota and CBS in 1080i, NBC in 720p and My in 480i in Nebraska. So it can be done
IN Sherman, TX/Ada OK they do all 6 nets on 2 RF stations
KXII CBS HD, My SD, FOX HD
KTEN NBC HD, CW SD, ABC HD

However I did a little checking and some Meredith, Sinclair, and Gannett have two diginets with the main affiliate.
I guess you missed my post about Gannett and how the subs look. Sinclair runs 2 old movie formats so the picture isnt the best to begin with :)

Then there is KLWB/KDCG/KXKW, delta media corporation stations, locally owned thankfully with This, Me, Ant, and Heroes/Icons. May end up with Grit and Movies later on way down the road.
thats gonna be the option for some subchanels

As for 15 and 46 well at least we have the NBC station so kudos to the ownership of these two stations.
wait. You were calling Nexstar the Antichrist earlier....so which is it? I know you're mad that they wont add anything but they added NBC to the market. I'm sure lots of folks are happy about that

Now I am glad we have the diginets we have because some places all they have is MeTV.
BINGO! Where I use to live (Duluth, MN) that was the only diginet we had. CBS had CW, NBC had My, FOX had none (ABC had the MeTV)

I live in a small community, population 17,000. All of our OTA comes from translators bringing in remote signals from Salt Lake City and Reno, except that we have one local full power NBC affiliate. On subchannels we get Antenna TV, MeTV, Movies!, RetroTV, Grit, Create, Weather Nation and Zuus.

My bad KATC has 720 on both so a subchannel diginet could be a reality in the future hopefully. Nexstar is not the antichrist but I found a contact person to see if they could add something on 33. On Sundays grit is on Fox 44 DT2 alot. The hd sd hd thing i guess your referring to Fox 15.1 hd, 15.2 KLAF NBC 46 HD, 15.3 MNTV as the SD. Eventually KLAF will be a full power hd and maybe taken off KADN DT2.

What would be cool is do like Fargo. Move KLFY program to KATC DT2 and CW DT3. Rename 10 and subchannel it like KRDK
you obviously have no clue as to why programming got moved from one station to another.

Gray wanted to by Hoak Media. Hoak owned all the NBC's licensed to North Dakota (along with some other stations). They also ran the Fox in Western ND and the CBS in Fargo. The FCC said "nope cant own 2 of the Big 4 in a market". Hoak bought everything but the license to the CBS in Fargo and moved CBS to the subchannel of NBC (KVLY). KXJB (4) went dark and they eventually sold the station. Hoak owned KHAS 5 in Nebraska which was NBC. Gray moved NBC to their owned CBS station. The NBC is still dark and folks lost a subchannel in the process (KHAS had This TV then switched to Cozi)

Little hard to move KLFY programming to another station when they are owned by 2 different companies.

Eventually KLAF will be a full power hd and maybe taken off KADN DT2.

no it can't. Its licensed as a low powered station. All they can do is upgrade power to the maximum for LP's which is 15,000 watts (they're at 2650 watts) and they don't have a construction permit right now to do that

you obviously have no clue as to why programming got moved from one station to another.

Gray wanted to by Hoak Media. Hoak owned all the NBC's licensed to North Dakota (along with some other stations). They also ran the Fox in Western ND and the CBS in Fargo. The FCC said "nope cant own 2 of the Big 4 in a market". Hoak bought everything but the license to the CBS in Fargo and moved CBS to the subchannel of NBC (KVLY). KXJB (4) went dark and they eventually sold the station. Hoak owned KHAS 5 in Nebraska which was NBC. Gray moved NBC to their owned CBS station. The NBC is still dark and folks lost a subchannel in the process (KHAS had This TV then switched to Cozi)

Little hard to move KLFY programming to another station when they are owned by 2 different companies.
I SAID IT WOULD BE COOL. I have no clue thats fine I know I am not a ota tv expert.

calm down Loretta

maybe here is a thought. Put down the phone and quit calling Media General and Weigel and whoever else you call constantly (and keep posting elsewhere that you do) and maybe read up how subchannels work. Its not like a station can add subchannels on a whim. It takes alot more to it. One thing is the encoders to do subchannels. If the station only has a setup for 2 stations how can they add a 3rd? Also it costs money and if there is not a ROI (return on investment) they wont do it. Why do you think RTV/RTN did really good when it first came out and then all of a sudden stations dropped it? Because the station wasnt getting their ROI (and there were other options out there). I've already discussed the bandwidth thing and the ownership's taste (or distaste) for particular subchannels.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)