Multiple 4K Clients

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

geno239

Original poster
Jul 1, 2016
North Carolina
Did a 4 box swap replace job the other day. HR 54 and 3 C61K clients. Problem is. They have 3 4k televisions. But can only watch 1 in 4k at a time. other 4k clients say already turn off other client to view 4k. Anyone else had this happen?

Just to clarify the discussion is that a Genie can only serve one 4K stream at a time to a client, a user can order/activate multiple C61k 4K client boxes, and can watch SD/HD programming on multiple, but the HR54 will only send one 4k stream at a time.

Reactions: geno239
yep, the current 4k system is a hobbled together patchwork mess

nest week they are releasing tin cans and strings

Reactions: AZ.
They are trying to make room. They shut down a ton of SD feeds on eastern arc last week and are getting rid of QPSK receivers

You figure it's about 15 SD channels= 4-6 HD Channels = 1 UHD channel. SD running about 2 megs each, HD at 6-8 megs each and UHD at approx 27 megs with some overhead depending on statistical muxing and content. Depending on the bandwidth of a transponder and its transmission settings, you can get 1.5 - 2 UHD channels on a transponder.

I'm amazed that it's taking them this long to figure out how to do UHD, but then again they (E*/Dish) said KA couldn't work either and DirecTV has been using KA for quite some time without any issues.

You figure it's about 15 SD channels= 4-6 HD Channels = 1 UHD channel. SD running about 2 megs each, HD at 6-8 megs each and UHD at approx 27 megs with some overhead depending on statistical muxing and content. Depending on the bandwidth of a transponder and its transmission settings, you can get 1.5 - 2 UHD channels on a transponder.

I'm amazed that it's taking them this long to figure out how to do UHD, but then again they (E*/Dish) said KA couldn't work either and DirecTV has been using KA for quite some time without any issues.
Wow, I never looked into the math, but thats a HUGE amount for UHD, but it sounds right seeing your getting 4 x the info.

I think E just didn't want to get into the KA stuff ... many E people are happy about that as they don't have to then have a different dish/LNB, like D* is currently doing.

Wow, I never looked into the math, but thats a HUGE amount for UHD, but it sounds right seeing your getting 4 x the info.

I think E just didn't want to get into the KA stuff ... many E people are happy about that as they don't have to then have a different dish/LNB, like D* is currently doing.

The only reason why the LNB swap is happening for 4K clients is because of Reverse Band. 17.7-19.2 Ghz range is what I think it is. (something in those parts) DirecTV is doing the same that they did with KA band with Reverse Band. From what I heard from a few old timers who worked for Dish at the time is that E* attempted to do KA but couldn't figure it out and said it couldn't be done. DirecTV did the same and made it work. It's all hear say anyhow. One thing is DirecTV is in the catbird seat when it comes to spectrum because their investments in KA and now reverse band and those investments are now paying off. I cant see how E* would be able to match anything DirecTV would be able to offer unless they use both arch's at the same time for different programming or start an all 4k transition when we see simulcasts of channels like ESPN, HBO, Discovery in 4K. I don't think were too far off for that, and that would begin in the next few years (Network programming launching in 4K). From DirecTV's point of view an LNB swap is a good thing because that means they are getting additional revenue from another band that was unused and they increased their bandwidth by double.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)