Multiple DirecTV Dishes for RV ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

AVHomeInstalls

Original poster
Aug 4, 2008
Can this be done...

I have a Winegard phase I (circle, single LNB, 1 coax output) with a inside crank-up mounted on top of my RV. I've now added a HDTV and a H20 receiver. I don't need all the HD channels all the time, but it would be nice to pull them in when needed. So without spending $1,500 on an automatic Wingard unit, I was thinking about adding elliptical dish that has 3 LNB's (one being SAT C LNB) on a heavy duty tri-pod outside. I think my elliptical has a multi-switch built in, because it has 4 coax outputs and a SAT C kit that went to my home receiver (not in use right now).

So can I...

A) Use the roof mouted single LNB with the H20 receiver for basic SD channels?

B) Install a 5x4 multi-switch and feed the roof mounted single LNB 1 coax and 2 coax lines from the elliptical 3 LNB dish. Not using the elliptical all the time only when needed for the extra/HD channels?

C) Just get a new elliptical dish that does NOT have the multiswitch built in and use 2 LNB's on this for 110 and 119? I'd still use a 5x4 multiswitch and roof mounted for 101. Would I also need to change the single LNB (1 coax output) to a dual LNB (2 coax output) on my Winegard roof dish?

Thanks for the help,
Steve

Yourout of luck!!!!!! The only way you can get HDTV is get a 5 LNB Slimline dish. Unless you like setting up dishes you are better off staying with the SD dish you have now untilthey make a 5 LNB motorized dish for RVs.

As boba says, it won't work. You need a dish that can see the 99/103 satellites and has the correct LNBs for those satellites. That means a 5-lnb dish of some kind. A 3-lnb would give you no additional channels, because the HD from 110/119 is going away (maybe by the end of this year).

This stuff used to be easy, now they've gone in complicated it... thanks for the answers.

So is there any way to get the 99,103 and maybe the 110,119 from the elliptical dish or 5 LNB slim line while still keeping my single LNB 101 dish on the RV and connected?

Connecting both dishes at the same time seems to be a no go... BUT why not get a Slimline dish with the full HD config and physically switch wires when you want HD. If you're in one place for a while you'll get everything using the Slimline and the set up time, amoritized over your length of stay, will be insignificant (IHMO) :cool: I must add that I have a 32" HDTV in my tailgater RV but don't fool with HD. Considering the condition of many of my "viewers" the addtional trouble of aligning the Slimline ain't worth it!

This stuff used to be easy, now they've gone in complicated it... thanks for the answers.

So is there any way to get the 99,103 and maybe the 110,119 from the elliptical dish or 5 LNB slim line while still keeping my single LNB 101 dish on the RV and connected?

No, it's not possible. 99 and 101 come on the same two cables into the multiswitch (one cable for odd transponders, one for evens). 103/110/119 use the other two.

Why not just disconnect the single dish when you want your HD channels and set up a Slimline (5 LNB set up) ?

It's really not much more complicated than any other dish and would be much more flexible than the single mounted to the RV.

Jimbo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)