multiple dish setup spacing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

cyoung1982

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Nov 12, 2007
I'm going to be concreting 2 or 3 poles into the ground on the south side of the house and was wondering how far apart I would need to mount them if using primestar dishes? currently I have one pole that is just dirtpacked into the ground with a 1m primestar pointed at amc4 for TWC but intend on putting a motorized dish on that pole once I concrete it into the ground as it has the best path towards the eastern sats. as you can see I have another pole just sitting in the ground next to it...is that to close or is that fine if the one to the left of it is going to be motorized and pointing occationally to the east?

Attachments

• PIC-0383.jpg
    PIC-0383.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 180
I would probably space them so that you could swing any of the dishes to any position (or a complete circle) and leave 6-8" between them at the closest. So lets say the LNB sticks out 30" on each dish, if you rotated 2 of them so they were facing each other (not that you'd ever do that in normal operation) you'd have 60" then add 6-8" for "fudge factor".
So maybe place them 68" apart, or perhaps 72" just so as you have an even number of feet.
Then make sure the satellites they are pointed at don't make their paths cross, or make the western most dish pick up the western satellites, the center one anything east of the western most one and the eastern one picks up anything east of the center one.

I think for the most part, common sense should dictate your spacing.

If you plan where you're going to park them, you can space them closer. For example 129,125,123 can be in a closer spaced group since each successive dish will be pointing a little farther east and not be shaded by the one west of it. You can also adjust the heights of the poles to get closer spacing, so the dishes in the rear are higher than the ones in front. The only caveat is that they are easier to plant than to dig up.

I have two dishes ( 90cm and 80cm) motorized, on posts 67" apart with no interference at all. They each get the whole arc . Clearly, if you were to change your mind at some point, and put up a pair of 1.2 meter dishes, this might impact your spacing. Even for two 1.2m dishes, I suspect 84" apart would be plenty.

:)

Myself if you are only planning on the 2 for now I'd just make one higher than the other so they can both do thier own thing.Heck you could do a whole row that way.

You could also put two or more on the same pole, as long as the lower one is motorized or has u-bolt mounting. Of course you would need to make sure to space them out enough in height so that they don't interfere as they pass each other.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)