multiple dwelling unit

400 receivers
mdu on dishnetwork enviroment, can splitters be use before 34 or 44 switches and how many swtches can be use, if they can be use.

There's no way to run 400 tuners off a single dish.

The max is 96 using 48 dual-tuner boxes with 48 DPP Separators hooked to 12 DPP44 switches set up as 4 strings of 3 switches each. They would be driven by 4 DP splitters driven by a pair of DP Dual LNBFs mounted on a Dish500.

Each Dual gives 2 feeds of a single bird, add 2 splitters to give 4 feeds for the 4 switch strings. Duplicate this for the other bird, giving you both 110 & 119 feeds.

Whew!

Simon,

What if the infrastructure is there for a large dish and a head unit? You can feed as many receivers as you have cables for, No? Is that not the standard Commercial MD set-up? I know AE* changed there business rules so you can do individual dished on each building and not have to build a head end unit right?

SimpleSimon said:
There's no way to run 400 tuners off a single dish.

The max is 96 using 48 dual-tuner boxes with 48 DPP Separators hooked to 12 DPP44 switches set up as 4 strings of 3 switches each. They would be driven by 4 DP splitters driven by a pair of DP Dual LNBFs mounted on a Dish500.

Each Dual gives 2 feeds of a single bird, add 2 splitters to give 4 feeds for the 4 switch strings. Duplicate this for the other bird, giving you both 110 & 119 feeds.

Whew!

This is not accurate. If you use Spaun switchs, you are not limited to 96 receivers. Check out www.spaun.com for diagrams. Spaun equipment is designed for commercial multi-dwelling unit applications and is more expensive that Echostar's residential equipment.

A few questions, some have already been asked. What's the layout? Is the MDU already constructed? Is the MDU already wired with RG-59/RG-6? Do you/the MDU own the cable plant? Does the cable plant terminate at a single head-end within the MDU?

Going on the assumption that you have an existing facility that's prewired and are converting from private cable or franchise cable to mandatory DishNet or nothing you'd be better served to go with an MPEG-2 to QAM head-end rather than starting over from scratch. This allows you to leverage the existing cable plant and avoid costly installation work to each unit.

It ain't cheap (I've heard $15k and believe it's probably more like $23-25) but several providers (RL Drake, Blonder Tongue, etc) make appropriate equipment so you aren't locked into only one source. This cost can be recovered via multiple means I won't go into.

drjake said:
This is not accurate. If you use Spaun switchs, you are not limited to 96 receivers. Check out www.spaun.com for diagrams. Spaun equipment is designed for commercial multi-dwelling unit applications and is more expensive that Echostar's residential equipment.
Yeah - I forgot about third-party equipment. Still - it's a lot of boxes to be dealt with.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts