(Multiple Markets) Good Karma Acquires ESPN Radio in New York, Los Angeles, and Chicago

The Fat Man

aka. Dr. Fat Man
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Oct 2, 2010
Land where we pronounce our "R" as "ah"
I personally am not a fan of Sports Talk Radio, but a sale of a national brand in the Top 3 markets is interesting all the same.

It seems that every, and I use the word “every” with only the very smallest dash of hyperbole, radio market has an affiliate of ESPNR, often a long neglected AM. Even in places that are fairly big, they don’t even bother to try to sell any ads. It is just “set it and forget it” automation.

IMHO, there just isn’t any compelling programming on the national ESPNR feed. Just an extension and remix of its TV daytime: NBA and politics, all day every day. The Fox offering, which is really done by a company leasing the Fox name, is about the same.

I assume they come very close to giving this programming away. Every set of ratings I see has these stations near the bottom, if listed at all.

Over on the other site, I stated how New York has one sports station. Someone was quick to reply that they have two (ESPN Radio being the second). I still wonder if it's the national ESPN Radio feed, or what local programming do they have?

I agree with you. ESPN Radio is meant to just clear a market. The only two FMs that I know of them having off the top of my head is New York and Dallas. I'm sure there are others out there, and they are probably places that either a huge, have no true FM local station, or don't have a professional team in one or more sports. New York and Dallas are big markets.

Reactions: SamCdbs
Over on the other site, I stated how New York has one sports station. Someone was quick to reply that they have two (ESPN Radio being the second). I still wonder if it's the national ESPN Radio feed, or what local programming do they have?

I agree with you. ESPN Radio is meant to just clear a market. The only two FMs that I know of them having off the top of my head is New York and Dallas. I'm sure there are others out there, and they are probably places that either a huge, have no true FM local station, or don't have a professional team in one or more sports. New York and Dallas are big markets.

ESPN NY has AM and FM . They have some local programming, notably the #1 afternoon sports show, though it may have been eclipsed by now.

We have an ESPN FM *only* in Hartford (WUCS) - go figure!

Reactions: The Fat Man
In an update, ESPN Radio Dallas has been sold to VCY, who is looking to turn the station to a non-commercial status. VCY operates a Christian music format.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts