Multiple Receivers to Multiple TVs...

flyswatta

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 5, 2006
A friend of mine asked me about this and I think it makes for an interesting challenge.

He has 4 Dish Network Receiver/DVRs, and 4 TV's (all in different rooms). He wants to put all of the receivers in one location (closet) and use existing installed cable/ethernet (one drop of each to each room) to be able to play back from any receiver to any tv. For example, from his bedroom, he wants to be able to select which receiver wants to view from, while watching via a different receiver on the living room TV. He has shows recorded on different DVRs and wants to be able to play them back no matter which DVR/TV he's at.

I'm a PVR enthusiast, so I suggested a client/server PVR where he sets up a PVR with 4 inputs (one from each receiver) and then has a client by each TV. He would basically have to record all of the shows on his PVR then he could pick which show to play back over the client on each TV. Of course this solution could get pricey because he'd have to buy a PC and the client units.

We speculated about whether there was a "coax switch" (remotely selectable of course), with 4 coax inputs and 1 coax output - he'd have to have one for each TV, (if it even exists). I googled around and couldn't find anything. For this solution, he'd also have to have a smart remote w/ UHF and each receiver UHF enabled.

Another option we thought of was "multiplexing" (not sure what it's really called) like they do with dual tuners - ie, select channel 3 for TV1, channel 60 for TV2, etc. Does something exist that would allow us to set something like that up? Channel 3 for receiver 1, channel 25 for receiver 2, etc... Again, he'd need the smart remote w/ UHF.

Are there any other ways to set this up? I know you guys have a lot of experience and techical knowledge out there so I thought I'd see what you could come up with. Your input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Yeh, I'd come across composite/svideo --> coax ones, but in this case, he'd have to split the output of each receiver 4 ways, (which I don't think you can do with svideo/composite, maybe you can, I dunno). In his case, we'd have to have 4 units that take 4 inputs with one coax output for each TV.

You'd think somebody would have solved this problem before....maybe we're on the verge of our first megabuck invention :D

i have done this a number of times with 4channel modulators. put rec1 on channel 10, rec2 on channel 20, rec3 on channel 30, rec4 on channel 40, ect.
the only problem with doing this, is the remotes.
The easiest way to do that would be to use all uhf remotes and just change the remote code on the remote depending on what receiver he wanted to control

Okay, so I'm thinking that you two are right. This is the way to go. So I looked around and they DO have s-video/composite splitters. Of course they're around $199 a pop also. So he'd need 4 4-channel modulators (best price I found was $299), 4 s-video splitters and 4 smart remotes (I don't think changing the remote code will be acceptable with the wife & kids...)

Hehehe, as icstephen said, this is getting pricey :)

Yea I had wanted to put the SC, FTA and others through the whole house and decided that it was doable but more $$ than I wanted to spend (could buy an fta reciever for the other room for less) although the thought of having an in house cable system sounded pretty cool.

Yeh, I think I'm going to recommend that he pursue the PVR idea, and since I know he has an old computer laying around, we can do the whole thing for around $300-$400. I'm doing it now with 2 client computers and 2 MediaMVPs (a small linux client at each TV) and it works great. Since he's got ethernet running to each room, he can purchase the cheaper wired MediaMVP.

I have four receivers and two dual lnbf how can i hook them up in each room, what kind of satellite splitter i need to do this, one lnbf is on 119 and the other is on 110 i want to run both of then in all four room

I have a 3 input UHF modulator that can be had very cheap ($35 plus shipping). The outer case is cracked, but the unit functions well. I also have 2 single channel UHF modulators that I can throw in as well. I was an E* sub for several years. I had 2 721s, an 811 and 2 508s. Using a splitter, I combined all 3 of the UHF modulators to the in-house distribution (coax) and had all 5 DVRs going to all TVs in the house. The only downside was the modulators broadcast in mono.

I have four receivers and two dual lnbf how can i hook them up in each room, what kind of satellite splitter i need to do this, one lnbf is on 119 and the other is on 110 i want to run both of then in all four room

you need to figure out what type of lnb's you have... Dish Pro (will say DP on the casing), or legacy (will prob have the dish logo)
Then you need to get a switch. A DP34 if you have DP lnb's. A SW64 if you have legacy.

Or just buy a quad lnb... probably be cheaper overall

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)