Multiple tuners used to record back to back shows on same channel

But if the shows are back-to-back on the same channel, we feel that an enhancement should be feasible that the timer overlap could be recorded by one tuner and "spliced" onto the end of the first program and the beginning of the second program.
Speculation -- and if anyone, Vivek can confirm this -- is that the ability to do this is restricted by someone else's patent.

Reactions: ChadT41
If true, then that is where I think patent law is way too overreaching. But I digress.

I don't buy that reasoning as Dish already uses a mechanism to record an entire transponder (or selected channels of that transponder) for an extended block of time to parse out individual programs. They could feasibly use that technology to extend it to a single channel that has a back-to-back timer set.

If true, then that is where I think patent law is way too overreaching. But I digress.
Yes, it certainly can be, but at the moment, it is what it is....

I don't buy that reasoning as Dish already uses a mechanism to record an entire transponder (or selected channels of that transponder) for an extended block of time to parse out individual programs. They could feasibly use that technology to extend it to a single channel that has a back-to-back timer set.
I don't think the recording part is the possible issue, it's the cutting up of the overlapping video parts that's in question.

So, it's the same as keeping the PTAT-like recording of the back-to-back recordings and using pointers to identify the start-early/end-late positions. Just as PTAT does now for individual programs.

So, it's the same as keeping the PTAT-like recording of the back-to-back recordings and using pointers to identify the start-early/end-late positions. Just as PTAT does now for individual programs.
But that would result in hard cuts with potentially cut off content. People don't want that. They want the overlap to end up on both recordings. If people didn't mind the hard cut, they would set start early and end late to zero and avoid the use of two tuners to begin with.

What is really irritating is that the last few minutes of shows used to be commercials. It was about the time DVRs came about that they started running the shows right up to the end & beginning.

They do that because there used to be 5 minutes of commercials at the end of the shows, and based on research people would then channel surf.

So now what they do is have longer commercial breaks and run shows back to back to get you interested enough in the next program to prevent you from wanting to change the channel.

But that would result in hard cuts with potentially cut off content. People don't want that. They want the overlap to end up on both recordings. If people didn't mind the hard cut, they would set start early and end late to zero and avoid the use of two tuners to begin with.
I never said the pointers would be set at hard cuts. Whatever your start early, end late settings are would determine where the start and end pointers would be for each program. So you would have 1 physical file with 2 listings in the DVR that would show the extended run times for each logical program.

Reactions: Hall
I noticed this when my kid had timers to record Walking Dead Sunday night and then Talking Dead right after. The shows hijack 2 tuners for those 4 minutes and if something else is recording you can't watch anything else. If you're watching something when this happens you miss the end of it when it breaks away to record the underlap of the second show. The only other choice is to cancel the second recording and we don't want to start that kind of trouble just to see the reveal on Property Brothers!

I never said the pointers would be set at hard cuts. Whatever your start early, end late settings are would determine where the start and end pointers would be for each program. So you would have 1 physical file with 2 listings in the DVR that would show the extended run times for each logical program.
That's what PTAT seems to do too, sorta... About the only thing I watch from PTAT is Big Bang Theory and when it is over, I can also watch the show after it (830-900), the 9pm event, and 10pm event. This is even the case with a "Save Series" timer/recording (which is what BBT is for us).

well, my solution for this is issue is just set up the program manually, as in if you want to record say example The Simpsons and Brooklyn Nine-Nine back to back on your local FOX Station, just set up an manual recording which you can set it up by pressing the DVR button on the remote 4 times, then press the green button on remote when you get to the timers menu screen, and then you should know the rest.

Considering none of their receivers have done it, and they have claimed by design, I would be hesitant to call it a bug. As pointed out earlier, I am going to agree with the poster that said it is likely due to patent issues. It's like the 1:30 am update. It's by design, but people don't like it, and want to call it a bug, but it is not a bug.
Not by the official definition. But, if it is a negative attribute that is considered major annoyance by a lot of users, then it is a bug in spirit. Perhaps, another term can be used, like "pest".

well, my solution for this is issue is just set up the program manually, as in if you want to record say example The Simpsons and Brooklyn Nine-Nine back to back on your local FOX Station, just set up an manual recording which you can set it up by pressing the DVR button on the remote 4 times, then press the green button on remote when you get to the timers menu screen, and then you should know the rest.
A lot of work to workaround a pest that shouldn't exist in the first place.

Reactions: Benyth
3 tuners. One can record all 4 big networks at a time with PTAT, leaving two additional. So, 6 shows at a time if 4 are on the nets. Add another tuner with OTA adapter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts