MultiPlexer Installation Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jeff piccolomini

Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Just got the HD DVR, which also pushed my output from 8 lines to nine. The installer today had no idea what to do as the multiplexer has only 8 outs. He tried to split one of the outputs into two to gain a line but the split outputs then wouldn't produce a picture. He couldn't reach his supervisor to get any advice and so left with just one line connected to the DVR... Talked to someone at Directv who suggested I put up a duplicate dish to gain additional outputs - that sure doesn't seem right to me.

With all the 2 line DVRs out there I can't be the only one with this problem.

So what you are saying is you have the PhaseIII dish with the 4 lines out running into a separate multi-switch that has 8 outputs? AND you have an extra line that is now no longer connected that goes into the house somewhere?

Are any of your old outlets now dead?

Do you have an OTA antenna?

What make and model is that switch?

I can't believe a pro installer would not know you can't just use a plain splitter to multiply DBS signals; he's funny.

There are a couple of possible solutions. An additional dish is one, but obviously the least aesthetic. The other solutions require an additional multiswitch.

If your switch is cascadable you can feed 4 outputs of the original switch into a new 4x8 and that would give you a total of 12 outputs. Another option is to use 4 two way splitters between the dish and the two switches to give 16 outputs, as long as the voltages are matched between the switches and splitters.

The installer you had must not have had any reasonable amount of training to think he could split a line between the switch and a receiver.

Teronzhul said:
There are a couple of possible solutions. An additional dish is one, but obviously the least aesthetic. The other solutions require an additional multiswitch.

If your switch is cascadable you can feed 4 outputs of the original switch into a new 4x8 and that would give you a total of 12 outputs. Another option is to use 4 two way splitters between the dish and the two switches to give 16 outputs, as long as the voltages are matched between the switches and splitters.

The installer you had must not have had any reasonable amount of training to think he could split a line between the switch and a receiver.

Thanks. The installer promised to have his supervisor call me back - hopefully the guy knows a bit more than the first installer. I've also talked to a few people at D-TV, not just CSR's but tech support and I'm astonished that no one there really knows what to do. Worse case I will try your solution myself but then that means I have to shell out for the additional multi switch and connections and try to get it back from D*.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)