Multiswitch Failures

Status
Please reply by conversation.

renoswb

Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
ohio
I have gone through several multi-switches over the last couple years. They seem to last about 9 months and then we lose either the odd or even signal. I bypass the multi-switch and everything works. Any thoughts on what causes this?
FYI Cable run is 220' to 18" dish on the other side of a pond.

Multiswitches virtually never fail. I would suspect the problem is your 220 ft cable run. If there is the slightest problem with cable/connectors, the power to the LNB will fall below the level needed to drive the LNB correctly and you will see this type of failure. And of course if you have an unpowered mjultiswitch, there will be losses there also. My guess is that your power to the LNB is marginal, and so lots of things might be pushing the power just below the level you need.
What type of cable are you using? As a minimum it needs to be RG6, solid copper core, not the more common copper clad steel core, which has greater voltage drop.
What type of multiswitch are you using? Is it powered or unpowered?

Originally I used unpowered multi switches but the last one I used a powered switch. I am using quad shield copper core RG6. I think I found a possible issue/problem. As of Sunday I lost all signal. My cable run actually runs through my pond and appears that critters got into the conduit and have been chewing on the cable. We are going to run cable overhead and try another powered unit.

Originally I used unpowered multi switches but the last one I used a powered switch. I am using quad shield copper core RG6. I think I found a possible issue/problem. As of Sunday I lost all signal. My cable run actually runs through my pond and appears that critters got into the conduit and have been chewing on the cable. We are going to run cable overhead and try another powered unit.
Yes water and electricity don't mix.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts