Multiswitch Help

Status
Please reply by conversation.

hoosiermike

Original poster
Nov 18, 2005
I am new to the site and appreciate all the useful information. While I've been able to figure out the basics of using a multiswitch (and why it's necessary), I'm still a bit uncertain about how to relate it to my specific situation.

I currently have a relatively new triple LNB dish. I have two lines running from the satellite into the house. One line goes to a receiver in the living room, while another line goes to a receiver in the basement. I am planning to buy an R15 DVR for the living room (probably at ValueElectronics, which seems to be popular on this board). If possible, I would like to avoid running any more lines from the satellite into the house. I have easy access to the 2 lines that currently run into the house (they both pass through the basement), so I could easily hook the 2 current lines into a multiswitch. I receive local channels via Directv, so I have no need for an external antenna.

My first question: is it possible to run the 2 current satellite lines into a multiswitch, then send 2 lines out from the MS to the living room DVR and one line out from the MS to the basement receiver? I recall having read that a MS attached to a triple LNB dish requires all four lines from the satellite for input. If possible, I'd really like to avoid running any more lines into the house from the satellite beyond the 2 lines that already come into the house.

My second question: if a multiswitch will work as described above, can I just use a 2X4 MS, or do I need a 4X8? I don't anticipate expanding my system beyond the parameters mentioned above (DVR in living room, single receiver in basement).

Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

welcome :wave

As I undersatand it, the Phase III dish (triple LNB dish) you need all 4 lines from the dish if using a multiswitch. It won't work any other way

If your locals come from the 101, and you don't care about Spanish language programming or HD, then it can be done, cause a 2x4 or 2x8 ms would only pass the 101 signal to the receivers. If you plan on getting HD then you'll need all 4 lines from the dish to the receivers (or a 4x8, 5x8, or other ms) depending on how many outlets you have.

Sorry to welcome you with bad news, but you need 4 lines to the MS from either the Phase III or the new 5lnb dish. Yes, there is a way you could stack and destack the four lines onto two lines for now, but that is expensive and is not going to work with the new 5lnb dish.

Now, if you were going to get the locals via OTA, you'd need a 5 coax into the house (or inside if you can mount an antenna in the attic). The new 5lnb does not leave enough bandwidth available for using the coax for both OTA and sat. signals.

Hope you can find an easy way to add 2 more lines.

Cheers,
Tom

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)