Multiswitch Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

darrylj

Original poster
Aug 23, 2007
What type of multiswitch do I need to order? I have a 5 LNB dish as of a couple of weeks ago, 6 dvrs of which 3 are HD and I also have basic cable. Directv is coming out next week to do additional drops to each receiver so you can watch one channel and record another at the same time. They told me that their multiswitches don't pass on the cable signal to each receiver and that I would have to special order one myself, but I'm a newbie and don't know what specs I need. Can you guys help me?

There are no multiswitches that will carry both the new HD satellite signals and OTA/basic cable because the frequency bands overlap. Start by getting DirecTV to install the correct multiswitch for the number of drops you have (the Zinwell WB616, as already posted). Then move on to solving the OTA/basic cable issue.
Two ways of doing this. First, you will need to take your cable line to an n-way splitter (n is the number of cable drops you need). Each cable drop will then be connected to a TV (not to a DirecTV receiver - the receivers and DVRs can't accept cable or NTSC signals) by one of the following methods:
1. A cable direct to the TV tuner input. By far the best solution.
2. (For cables from the multiswitch going to non-HD DirecTV receivers). Use two diplexers per line. The line from the cable splitter connects to a diplexer inserted in the line from the multiswitch. Near the DirecTV receiver, insert another diplexer and connect the cable/OTA output of the diplexer to the TV tuner
3. (For cables from the multiswitch going to an HD DirecTV receiver or DVR (H20, H21 or HR20). If you can't run an extra cable, then there is a way of handling basic cable and DirecTV HD (not supported by DirecTV, you will not get any help from their Customer Service). Take the B-band converter which attaches to the receiver. Move it to be next to the multiswitch - you will need some "gender converters" to convert the connectors (the BBC CANNOT be reversed). The use diplexers as described above, the diplexers have to be between the BBC and the receiver.

HD TiVo or older HD receivers can't get the new HD channels so you treat them just like SD receivers.

I have a question about this MS. What is that one lone port at the end of the unit? Also, what purpose do the flex ports serve? Thanks.

The lone port is for power. This is a powered multiswitch and the power comes from a remote power supply along a separate RG-6 cable.
The flex ports are for people who want to connect the dishes for the 95 satellite (international) and the 72.5 satellite (some cities' locals are on 72.5)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

H20's to delete internal RF capability?

3 to 5 LNB install

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)