Multiswitch Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Dave_C

Original poster
Nov 27, 2013
NJ
Hi Guys!

I am prewiring a home and guest house for DirecTV/Cable and I had a question regarding the DirecTV multiswich. My guesthouse is approx 200 ft from the main area of our basement where our low voltage wiring is located. My question is can I run a single RG11 line from the house to the guest house off of a multiswitch and then hook it into a second multiswitch to use with the genies? Or do I have to run separate RG11 lines to each individual TV locations off of a single main multiswitch? I am trying to set this up so that I can either use Satelite or Cable and just switch out the multiswitch with a splitter and vice versa. My conduit underground is only 1 & 1/4" - so fishing a bunch of RG11 lines is going to be rough, even with a wire lubricant.

Any info is appreciated!

Thanks!!!!

You'll need 2 lines for SD, 1 for HD. if you plan on swapping between the 2 I would suggest you run. Ore than 2, maybe 4 to be safe. This will allow both SD programming, satellite internet, and cable all at the same time or 4 to be able to run a SWM 16

Thanks for the response. Are you saying I would have to run 4 lines out of the first multiswitch into the 2nd multiswitch? I need to figure out if its possible to run two together in conjunction with the genies.

Thanks for the response. Are you saying I would have to run 4 lines out of the first multiswitch into the 2nd multiswitch? I need to figure out if its possible to run two together in conjunction with the genies.

Multi-switch no. SWM splitter yes. You really need to have a home run to 1 splitter and be done from there nonce you start adding more SWM splitters you start losing more db's than you really need to. Cable length is another issue. 150 foot max is what's recommended for any SWM set up. When thinking of this 150 foot you need to be aware of all cable runs such as cable to splitter, splitter to power inserter, inserter to receivers and so on. Why do you need to run the second multiswitch?

Ok I see what you're trying to accomplish now after re-reading your original post. No, won't work. You're traveling way to far for a SWM signal to work. You're going 200 feet plus whatever you're running from your dish a so on. You'll need to set up a second dish and go with regular receivers vs the genie system. Clients won't work that far and you're only allowed 1 server (genie) per account. And the email we received earlier in the week, directv does NOT plan on making 2 available on an account moving forward so no need on waiting

SWM will work with RG11 at 200 Feet!

Hell, I got a Dish on one building to a SWM 16, then a 150 foot RG11 cable run accross the street to run a second Television and it works just fine.

You need to get rid of the multi-switch and go to SWM.

RG11 is half the loss of RG6, so you should be able to do 400 feet no problem.

SWM will work with RG11 at 200 Feet! Hell, I got a Dish on one building to a SWM 16, then a 150 foot RG11 cable run accross the street to run a second Television and it works just fine. You need to get rid of the multi-switch and go to SWM. RG11 is half the loss of RG6, so you should be able to do 400 feet no problem.

We're talking clients here, not a normal receiver. Clients are picky as hell

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)