Multiswitch versus splitter - applications?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

tsbarker13

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 1, 2009
Virginia, USA
I want to put up a second DirecTV SWM-line-5 antenna at my cabin. In looking at the parts I need, this is what I figure I need:
SWMline-5 dish (with the 5-lnbs)
4-way splitter
21-VDC power inserter

I see there is alos a thing called a multiswitch. What I wanted to know, what application would I want to use a "mulitswitch vs a splitter?

Can someone explain the difference? Is my parts list correct?

Also, I can rough in the antenna -- how can I find a technician with a meter that can fine tune my pointing for me? (loation would be near Durham, NC)

Thanks for any help.

the splitter is the multiswitch. Just make sure it is a SWM splitter and not just any splitter since the frequencies are different. You also have to make sure your PI is plugged in on the power passing side of the splitter or you will have problems getting a clean signal. And if you want to have someone install it at the cabin, just set up a movers connection with Dtv to your cabin even if your using just one box instead of all of your boxes on your account. The tech would be pleased to hook up less than whats on the W/O. Then of course once hes done with the install just change your physical address back to your original.

splitters and multiswitches are 2 totally different things

multiswitch is what you use on a non swm setup for more than a couple receivers. It has various inputs (either 2 or 4 depending on LNB) and 4 or 8 outputs

Ice,

Since you have become a Direct sub you have become a very valuable resource here in the Direct forum. You have been providing much info that even I as a Direct sub for 10+ years was not aware of. :up

ahh shucks ;)

But I've been using multiswitches on my free to air setup for a few years now :) Those 3x4 & 4x4 switches are very handy

For the OP, how many outputs are on the LNB? If there is one then yes you can use a splitter. If its 4 then it isnt SWM compatible and you need a line from each receiver to the dish. I know my neighbor has a slimline but he has 4 outputs on the LNB so he has 4 lines form the LNB run to receivers

Here are some multiswitches
3x4...most common on the 18" dishes to run up to 4 lines...I use one of these for my setup...3rd port is for a OTA antenna
4x4..most common for the old Phase II units that had just 101 & 119. Not really anymore since the Phase III has 4 outputs. You do use a 4x8 if you need more than 4 outputs
6x8...the one you use on the old slimlines if you need more than 4 outputs.

Attachments

• IMG_4114.JPG
    IMG_4114.JPG
    62.8 KB · Views: 382
  • 4x4 Multi-Switch.jpg
    4x4 Multi-Switch.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 814
  • DirecT5.jpg
    DirecT5.jpg
    35.7 KB · Views: 597
Also, I can rough in the antenna -- how can I find a technician with a meter that can fine tune my pointing for me? (loation would be near Durham, NC)

Thanks for any help.

You can try using a 61 degree skew and an elevation of 42 degrees to start from.

For gas money and a couple beers - I'll dither the dish for ya. I live near Goldsboro.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts