Multiswitch with Cable Broadband

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dm95630

Original poster
Dec 17, 2005
I am trying to run a Directv and Cable Broadband through the same outlet. I installed a multiswitch (5x8) with all lines from my phase 3 dish. I then installed the cable broadband into the VHF/UHF slot.

I split the lines at the outlet with a diplexer, one to the cable modem and one to the receiver. Theoretically it should work, but I do not recieve the cable signal, only the Directv signal.

Please help!!!

there are posts about this on here, i dont remember where. they say it wont work.

why cable broadband?? DSL blows cable away!

BTW, is the diplexer one port ,or all ports power passing???

I did a search many times and found nothing.

DSL was not available for a long time in my area, and I do not want to have to deal with changing email addys.

All ports are passing

a seperate line would be the best, you are asking for bugs running multiple signals thru one line.

would it be THAT hard to run a new coax to one or the other?

i would, just for piece of mind

dragon002 said:
there are posts about this on here, i dont remember where. they say it wont work.

Why cable? It's faster than dsl, that's why. Usually more expensive, though.

Chip

raoul5788 said:

Chip
I agree, they say it depends on the number on the circuitfor cable, but I get 6000 Kbps very consistantly, I have even seen bursts up to 12000....

On the topic tilte, run another line firend, cable modem are not in the UHF/VHF spectrum. See Here

Last edited:
raoul5788 said:
Chip

almost ALWAYS more expensive, and NOT always faster. my verizon DSL is running at a consistant 120 MBPS, that is twice as fast as 6000 KBPS. remember you are talking kbps , im talking mbps

dm95630 said:
I am trying to run a Directv and Cable Broadband through the same outlet. I installed a multiswitch (5x8) with all lines from my phase 3 dish. I then installed the cable broadband into the VHF/UHF slot.
I split the lines at the outlet with a diplexer, one to the cable modem and one to the receiver. Theoretically it should work, but I do not recieve the cable signal, only the Directv signal.
Please help!!!
I use a diplexer on the line outside, and another inside to split it and it works fine for me. I don't need a multiswitch since I only have 4 lines of DirecTV

dragon002 said:
Are you nuts?

I have 2 homes. In NC, we have DSL (no cable). In NJ, we have Cable (no DSL). My cable runs at 10 mbits ... . DSL 1.5mbits.

aec4 said:
Are you nuts?
I have 2 homes. In NC, we have DSL (no cable). In NJ, we have Cable (no DSL). My cable runs at 10 mbits ... . DSL 1.5mbits.

again, my VERIZON DSL runs at a consistant 120MBPS in the pittsburgh area. comcast broadband constantly locked up, lost work orders, lost info and was hacked twice.

since i got DSL june 2004.....no problems at all

dsl and cable speeds vary depending on ISP and location. You cannot say cable is always faster than dsl, but in my experience cable has been much faster than dsl. Dsl speed can also depend on how far you are from the central office, so if you are really close you can get really high speeds. DSL is also a direct connection so the speed is preset and you will almost always recieve that same speed. Cable speed can vary based on neighborhood usage unless the cable system has recently made upgrades to increase the bandwith

slacker9876 said:
On the topic tilte, run another line firend, cable modem are not in the UHF/VHF spectrum. See Here
Welcome to the forums, dm95630! :welcome

Actually the downstream and the upstream are both in the VHF/UHF spectrum as indicated from the link you posted, slacker9876. What happens is most VHF/UHF amplifiers, like the one included in a 5x8 switch, do not allow the upstream data feed to work back to the cable company. Diplexers will work cuz they allow bi-directional feeds.

I have a channelplus amplifier that does not pass the upstream, tho they have a model built specifically for the backchannel info and the internet data streams. I was cheap and didn't need the extra expense. (Which is why I'm switching to DSL as soon as the phone company finally gets it in my area. I've heard more stories from Qwest than I've heard from D*...)

Happy Holidays,
Tom

Your Crazy! You cannot have a 120 MBPS intenect connection. Ethernet is 100 MBPS so 120 woyuldn't do you any good. The fasted internet available from verizon is 15 MBPS. Try telling us another fake technolagy!

directvfreak said:
Your Crazy! You cannot have a 120 MBPS intenect connection. Ethernet is 100 MBPS so 120 woyuldn't do you any good. The fasted internet available from verizon is 15 MBPS. Try telling us another fake technolagy!

guy,

im not crazy and im not blind either. lower right toolbar, pop up is showing 100 mbps. i go to my computer and run the real time test and the actual speed is 120 mbps. also there are no decimal points that is 100 and 120.

dragon002 said:
again, my VERIZON DSL runs at a consistant 120MBPS in the pittsburgh area. comcast broadband constantly locked up, lost work orders, lost info and was hacked twice.
since i got DSL june 2004.....no problems at all
That's Verizon Fios out here, in NJ, and it costs more than Cable... Regular Verizon DSL runs at 3mbits here. You're very lucky, however, it's very unlikely something runs at 120 mbps. 12mbps maybe. Even if it did run at 120 mbps, you wouldn't realize it because your ethernet cable couldn't handle the speed.

dragon002 said:
guy,
im not crazy and im not blind either. lower right toolbar, pop up is showing 100 mbps. i go to my computer and run the real time test and the actual speed is 120 mbps. also there are no decimal points that is 100 and 120.
You've proven you are crazy.
EVERYONE'S LOCAL AREA CONNECTION says 100 mbps. It's the speed of the ethernet cable!!!
Go here, http://www.dslreports.com/stest, and post the results.

View the attached file. MINE SAYS 100 mbps too!

Attachments

• speed.jpg
    speed.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts