Music Channels into FM receiver

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Racehorse

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 27, 2006
new to satellite dummy

With my old cable setup I had a co-ax connection into an FM receiver which broadcast into several rooms via speaker wires. Used the FM tuner to change stations for varying kinds of music. This worked fairly well to pick up FM stations from about a hundred miles into the DFW area.

Using the TV2 outlet on a co-ax into the FM receiver seems to get me nothing.

Does the FM receiver need to be tuned into the same channel used for the remote tv? ... and then use the TV2 output to differing music channels available from E* ?

I have a chart showing the various frequencies that tv channels use and can see where tv channel six should be relatively easy to tune in on the FM receiver around 83-84. I tried that an didn't get any results.

any advice?

With my old cable setup I had a co-ax connection into an FM receiver... Used the FM tuner to change stations for varying kinds of music.
You are relating your analog cable experience, where OTA analog channels, be they FM or TV, were injected into your cable feed. These analog signals could be split and fed to multiple tuners, each of which could independently tune in the desired channel.

This old analog capability does not directly translate into the world of digital satellite radio and TV. You can send your dish signals to multiple receivers, but they all must be compatible with the digital signal. Your FM receiver is not.

Note that Dish provides a number of audio-only channels. These can be tuned using a conventional Dish Network receiver, but only one channel can be selected per tuner. I bought a Bell 4100 (like a Dish 111 but with RCA jacks) for this very purpose. Additional receivers are $5 each, while the cheapest satellite radio subscription seems to be more than double that.

I bought a Bell 4100 (like a Dish 111 but with RCA jacks) for this very purpose. Additional receivers are $5 each, while the cheapest satellite radio subscription seems to be more than double that.

Very good idea if you don't want one for your car. $5 a month is cheaper than a Satellite Radio Sub.

distance precludes use of RCA ....

thanks for the advice about the lack of FM receiver and digital satellite signal

how would this work ???
I'm going to give it a whirl next week when I catch some time ...

feed TV2 into a small tv in the closet area where I have my audio stuff

use the small tv audio output as a pre-amp and send it into the amplifier

use the resulting output via aux setting and send the music over my "network" of speakers ...

will this work ???????

message went out before I was finished "thinking" .... ggggg

then I can use the remote control for the remote tv to change satellite channels to the multiple audio availabilities .....

any advice?

Connect a FM radio antenna to the back of your FM receiver and tune your local radio stations. Or connect a set of rabbit ears to the audio receiver.

feed TV2 into a small tv in the closet area where I have my audio stuff, use the small tv audio output as a pre-amp and send it into the amplifier... will this work?
That will work, if by "TV2" you mean the RF output of a dual-tuner Dish receiver. Only trouble is that (in my experience) small TVs have crappy audio sections and you may hear a hum or buzz in all your speakers. If TV2 has RCA jacks, you might just send the audio output to your amp directly. I've gone 40' without introducing noticeable noise using 2 coax cables.

Last edited:
boba ...... for the local radio stations the town is small enough I don't even need rabbit ears, the internal antenna is sufficient, but I want the "locals" from DFW ... 100 miles away and too far for rabbit or even anything less than a full blown really good 50 ft mast...

TheKrell .... thanks for telling me about the potential for the hum/buzz from a small tv . AND for telling me that the "idea" will fly.
I more than likely, in my inventory of unused tvs (kids all grown and gone) at least one that has RCA jacks that I could use. The main reason I thought about using small was the set wouldn't take up too much shelf space in the closet and I could still visually see the audio channel I was selecting.
I'll give it a go next week and report on my results

thanks to all

Might want to consider giving away or selling those extra TVs, before your waste collector starts charging to haul off CRTs. Some areas are already charging extra to dispose of CRT TVs.

I more than likely, in my inventory of unused tvs (kids all grown and gone) at least one that has RCA jacks that I could use.
I've been thinking about this more. I don't have any tube TVs where the RCA jacks are outputs; they're all inputs only! I do have some TVs with headphone jacks which might suffice...

I've been thinking about this more. I don't have any tube TVs where the RCA jacks are outputs; they're all inputs only! I do have some TVs with headphone jacks which might suffice...

How about FM MODULATOR and 12 V power supply. You would also have to add F Connector to standard cable and (Motorola type) antenna connector.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-12V-WIRED-CAR-STEREO-7ch-PLL-FM-MODULATOR-for-DVD_W0QQitemZ190076930732QQihZ009QQcategoryZ48605QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts