Must 721 be connected to two inputs to work?

pebbea

Original poster
Nov 23, 2004
I just received a 721 and hooked it up to my existing legacy dish and sw21 switch. It downloaded and installed the update. I did a point dish and it found the 119 and 110. Ran the switch check and it located the one sw21 switch. Is the second dish hookup required to use this unit?

In a word - YES. Both inputs must be connected to identical switch/lnbf configurations.

In a few more words - the 721 seems to have the nasty habit of complaining a lot, even rebooting itself under these conditions. I even saw such behavior in a rain-fade situation today - one tuner wasn't getting signal, I tried to bring up the guide, then tried to cancel, then pushed a few more buttons and poof! Two spontaneous reboots (!) later, it was running normally again.

I just spoke to a dish tech who said I might be able to purchase a "dish pro compatible splitter" and take one feed and split it into two. Sounds like a way to fool the 721 into thinking it has both inputs hooked up. I will check at Sears and Radio Shack to see if they have a legacy splitter which may solve my problem.

I will check at Sears and Radio Shack to see if they have a legacy splitter which may solve my problem
I'm afraid there's no such thing. It sounds like you got a bad CSR at dish, unfortunatly. The only times you can split a feed is if you either:

1) have a single satellite installtion - Dish 300 with a single dishpro LNBF, or
2) have a DPP Twin LNBF or
3) have dishpro LNBFs with a DPP44 switch.

You don't have any of these. At best you're going to need a second SW21 and some cables, 2 from each LNBF to the 2nd switch, and one more from that switch to your 721. That is assuming your current LNBF's both have an unused connection on them. If not, then you are looking at replacing your LNBF's, and you have several options there, like option #2. The best option will change depending on your future plans. Do you ever plan to have more than two receivers?

Well, back on eBay it goes. I wanted to use this unit in my RV and don't want to drill and wire up a second line. Thanks for helping. I thought I had researched this 721 fully before purchase... I was wrong.

sorry to hear that. You could solve your problem by getting a dpp twin lnbf which should mount easily in place of your present lnbfs. I'm not sure how available they are yet though. This is not to be confused with a regular dishpro twin lnbf, which you can't use a separator on.

pebbea said:
I read somewhere that the 721 is not DPP compatible.

Don't post stuff like this without doing some research! There are several of us around here (including me) that are running 721's into a DPP44.

StevenD said:
Don't post stuff like this without doing some research! There are several of us around here (including me) that are running 721's into a DPP44.

Me too. And dude! Don't take back the 721. It's the best damn receiver on the market! I love this F'ng thing!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts