Mux/Demux Satellite and Cable/Antenna Signals

Status
Please reply by conversation.

matheosw

Original poster
Sep 12, 2008
Hi,

I was wondering if there are simple devices which can be used to mux and demux satellite and cable/antenna TV signals. I would like to combine/mux a satellite and cable signals at the cable box and separate/demux them at the receivers, to reuse the existing cable wiring inside my house. If there such a device, would there be any signal quality/integrity issues?

Regards
Matheos

A Diplexer?
sadoun.com/Sat/Order/Switches/S-UV30-sadoun_combiner_diplexer.htm
You would need 2, 1 to combine, and 1 to separate.

The thing you speak of is called a diplexer.
It can combine OTA antenna signals with satellite signals outdoors, pass both through the cable, then another diplexer inside can separate the signals to go to the TV and Sat receiver.

There are several problems:
- there is loss through diplexers, both to your OTA signal, and your satellite signal
- wide band cable signals often overlap the frequencies used by satellite, so you may lose some cable channels
- DirecTV uses some of the OTA frequencies on their coax, so diplexers would interfere with their proper operation.
- if your house is wired for cable, it may have splitters hidden in the walls; the satellite signals are not compatible
- check what sort of coax the house is wired with now... if it's not RG6, run your own for satellite

Some people use them successfully.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

geosat ck2 f/d

z channel tv

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)