diogen

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 16, 2007
Expected highlights of the Barcelona gathering
Engadget is live from MWC 2010! -- Engadget

New smartphone OS from Samsung, BADA
Samsung S8500 Wave caught in a spigot of leaks -- Engadget
The S850 is suppose to have the best quality screen and be one of very few supporting 802.11n.

The Windows smartphones will be called Windows Phone 7Series
Windows Phone 7 Series: that's the name -- Engadget

Also, Microsoft seems to have taken the Apple approach:
no multitasking, no Flash, no app install from anywhere but MarketPlace... That really sucks...
PPCGeeks Blog Archive EXCLUSIVE Breaking News : Windows Phone 7 Details Emerge From The Depths
http://www.mobiletechworld.com/2010/02/06/more-windows-mobile-7-rumors-grab-some-salt/

Diogen.

Microsoft seem to be serious about the smartphone market
Windows Phone 7 Series hands-on and impressions -- Engadget
Forget everything you know about Windows Mobile. Seriously, throw the whole OS concept in a garbage bin or incinerator or something. Microsoft has done what would have been unthinkable for the company just a few years ago: started from scratch. At least, that's how things look (and feel) with Windows Phone 7 Series. This really is a completely new OS -- and not just Microsoft's new OS, it's a new smartphone OS, like webOS new, like iPhone OS new. You haven't used an interface like this before (well, okay, if you've used a Zune HD then you've kind of used an interface like this)

Presentation log
http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/15/...eries-windows-mobile-press-event-at-mwc-2010/

Diogen.

Since my wife thinks I need a smartphone rather than an MID, I've been paying close attention to this gadget show. We're on Verizon Wireless, so the one that really has my attention is the HTC "Incredible" (HTC Incredible – a worthy successor of Nexus One | IBTimes) sounds like unveil will happen tomorrow...

The WinPho 7's integrated with XBox Live COULD be interesting, [STRIKE]but I'm looking for more of a PDA than a PSP[/STRIKE] and I think I will have to see how this pans out. (is it just me or do those big square icons look like something out of ST:NG?)

Last edited:
The WP7 will be out by year's end... A lot can change.
Very little is known about it in terms of specs. It will have 800x480 resolution, GPS and WiFi on top of being a cellphone. ZuneHD inside each phone.
A bunch of telecom partners and hardware manufacturers. Much less freedom in tweaking the UI. Integration with Outlook, Exchange, Calendar and every social network...

But this might be enough to stop the sliding of WinMo into oblivion...

Diogen.

The Barcelona Congress is rolling...

HTC introduces three new phones, starting with the Nexus One clone in an Al casing (Desire).

Eric Schmidt keynote isn't much more than "feel-good" presentation. But he claims repeatedly Google mantra "Mobile First!". They must be in this for good.

Smartphones with working Flash (Android). Looks like Flash got a boost only because Apple's iPhone doesn't (and most likely won't) support it.

LG shows the first MeeGo OS phone (merged Linux projects of Intel and Nokia; based on Intel Moorestown CPU).

Go to Engadget for more.

Diogen.

One of the most interesting ideas showcased on MWC2010 - having the SIM card store not only cell chip,
but also the OS, user profile (contacts, apps, prefs) and even CPU.
What is needed is a dumb cellphone offering external connectors and screen.
SK Telecom shoves Android onto a SIM, we check it out -- Engadget

Without a CPU this would be very much a "virtual machine" that you move between physical boxes.
If there is not too much IP attached to it, it can really take off...

Diogen.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)