My $52 Satellite System

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Al K

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 11, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
Many years ago I had a 10' dish which I later updated with an HDTV Sat Receiver. I took it all down years ago. Later I had two Ku dishes set up for Canadian pay TV. After years of being away, I am now back in the satellite hobby. It cost me a little under $52.

I found a man selling used 6' dishes with a free LNB (C or Ku) for $25. I had to drive a little while and then disassemble it and take it home. (He has since raised the price to $35.) I opted for a C-band LNB. I ordered one of the el cheapo receivers from China. The cost was $26.83 with free shipping.

I sanded and painted the dish, aimed it at AMC 18 using my old $8 meter. I did a blind scan and a minute later I was watching NASA and NBC in HD. It was a very satisfying day!

I was going to add a photo, but I'm not sure how.

If you go to Craigslist in Phoenix, you can find the dish seller under electronics for sale.

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
To the right of "Post Reply", click on "Upload a File". Then hit browse in the pop up and navigate and find the file on your PC.
Once it is up load click on insert as thumbnail, then finally click, "Post Reply". :)

KE4EST

SatelliteGuys Is My Second Home
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Lifetime Supporter
Aug 9, 2004
EM75xb
Al K it is okay to post the link, so that others may benefit. ;)

Al K

SatelliteGuys Pro
Dec 11, 2003
Phoenix, AZ
IMG_1279.jpg

The man I bought the dish from was also selling new ones on ebay for $100 plus shipping. I can't find his Craigslist post or his ebay post. The Craigslist post was there a few days ago.
I have attached a screen grab that I had made of his Craigslist post last November.

ken2400

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 4, 2004
Central NY State
Hi reply, look for the "Upload a file" box.
It should bring up a window asking for the picture location.

Did you find a solid or mesh 6' dish?
Thanks
Many years ago I had a 10' dish which I later updated with an HDTV Sat Receiver. I took it all down years ago. Later I had two Ku dishes set up for Canadian pay TV. After years of being away, I am now back in the satellite hobby. It cost me a little under $52.

I found a man selling used 6' dishes with a free LNB (C or Ku) for $25. I had to drive a little while and then disassemble it and take it home. (He has since raised the price to $35.) I opted for a C-band LNB. I ordered one of the el cheapo receivers from China. The cost was $26.83 with free shipping.

I sanded and painted the dish, aimed it at AMC 18 using my old $8 meter. I did a blind scan and a minute later I was watching NASA and NBC in HD. It was a very satisfying day!

If you go to Craigslist in Phoenix, you can find the dish seller under electronics for sale.

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
Al K,

Congrats on the dish and thanks for the photo. This is the first 6 footer I have seen with that circular mount. Some years ago I fooled with a 6 footer and was looking for one of those circular mounts but none were to be had. Your picture has been very helpful in actually seeing how a dish can be mounted this way. Good luck with your dish and thanks for posting.

Comptech

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jun 26, 2006
Travelers Rest SC
Years ago I had a Fortec six footer like that and put a HH style motor on it. I believe it might have been a CM160? Actually worked pretty well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)