My 522 with L2.04GALD-N

Toph

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 20, 2004
First off, I'd like to say that the 522 has been a decent box for me up until the release of 2.04. It has been a pleasure with Dish and the DVR coming from TW cable and a VCR. I've had some of the problems mentioned here on the 522 Forum and I thought a new software version would fix them eventually. Well that's not the case. It's seems to me, new software versions fix one or two things and break five to ten things.

For example, 2.04 has fixed the digital audio problems between the two tuners as documented on various prior threads on the 522 Forum

But now my 522 has turned into molasses. It is so slow to do any and all functions. I'll itemize them below:

1. When I hit the DVR button on either remote in single or dual mode it takes around 13 seconds to bring up my DVR list. Also, it takes about 7 seconds after pressing the Menu button for the Main Menu to appear.

2. When switching channels with either remote the 522 doesn't respond like it did with version 2.03. It is very slow and sometimes will not change channels at all! Or, I'll enter 122 for Sci-Fi and it will go to 847 Tdisney.

3. I hit the recall button and 10 seconds later the previous station tunes in.

4. All of the graphic displays of channel info, live TV, and DVR buffer are slow to respond. (around 5 secs)

5. I have also noticed a lot of video and audio freezes while watching LIVE TV!

Has anybody had a similar experience to any of my first 5 problems?

I have tried everything I can think of to resolve any of these problems myself. Soft reset, hard reset, and unplugging the unit. I have checked the switches, signal strength and all the connections have not changed.

If anyone has any suggestions I will try just about anything before calling a CSR to send out a new 522. My 522 was performing much better with 2.03.

Any help would be appreciated!

That's it for now, I'll report back when something else materializes....

More....

I forgot to mention that my 522 performed disk maintenance for about 20 mins. last night and also it was stuck doing back to back reboots about 5 times in a row.

More to come....

Toph,

The first time I turned on my 522 after the update, it was slow the way you ae describing, but the problems went away after about a minute and have not returned. It was a very annoying minute, however.

I was hoping this was a temporary thing like yours....but now I'm in day 2 with the same problems!

Awaiting help!!!!!!

Mine is pretty much the same except for a couple of new features. Instead of hicupping every 5 secs, it now does it every 30 secs (I guess that's an improvement.

The new features I have discovered are:

Sometimes the sound completely disappears on a recording. The only way to restore it is to stop the recording. Return to live TV and resume playing.

I have one playback where the sound was about 3 seconds out of sync. Again, the fix was to go back to live TV.

Actually, one the whole (so far), there seems to be a slight improvement (gasp***).

I feel lucky. I've had no hiccuping, or sound problems at all. I've recorded a number of things and watched them in the last few days. I have the same software version.

chingon said:
I feel lucky. I've had no hiccuping, or sound problems at all. I've recorded a number of things and watched them in the last few days. I have the same software version.

Are you using RCA sound or optical?

Well mine is back to not recording dvr events I have scheduled. Put Underworld up for recording, came home while it was still on, the dvr showed it was recording, but no red light and of course no recording. It also has done this new thing the past couple of days, where I turn it off but the picture stays on the screen(live tv) but the dish network screen saver is on top of that. Also it's back to the receiver being on every morning.

I have yet to have the molasses situation you have though.

i have not have the problems except for some audio hiccups but from aside that...my 522 is working like a gem....with L2.04..along with some new counters page in diags....

mrschwarz said:
Sometimes the sound completely disappears on a recording. The only way to restore it is to stop the recording. Return to live TV and resume playing.

This one developed for me on 2.03. Very annoying. Haven't had it with 2.04 so far.

Fewer pops and glitches during playback is also the major improvement I see with 2.04.

And I don't know if this is with 2.04, but sometime recently they made a major improvement with how it handles brief signal interruptions during bad weather and the like. It now just throws up a brief warning message rather than halting everything and having to go through a more lengthy "satellite reacquisition" process. Had a big storm through here yesterday and I was shocked at how well the machine handled it. If the warning message was a bit smaller rather than taking up most of the screen, it'd be near perfect.

I did have this annoying slow down forever... I think the second day (and several manual reboots later) I turned the thing off.... unplugged it.. Made dinner... plugged it back in... waited for 30 minutes for the guide to download and it came back up just fine without the slowdown. toatl time was about an hour but i was so mad aat it in the first place.

I definitely notice that you can't watch Live TV in a buffered state. I mean, as long as LiveTV is playing LIVE, it's ok. But if you pause it or rewind it, when you start to watch it again it skips beyond enjoyment. You have to fast forward it back to actual Live TV in order for it to work properly.

As for recordings, they play back "better", but not perfect. And last night, when I had both tuners recording something, when I played back a recording it was worse. Probably too much hard drive activity.

Other bugs I've seen...

1) Audio dropout. A couple of times this weekend a show has lost it's audio during playback. The fix is to stop the show, go to live tv, then go back to the show. Sucks.

2) Loss of rewind functionality. I don't know how, but during a show I couldn't rewind. It just played in slow mo when I tried to rewind. Fix was same as above issue.

I wonder why mine's not doing it. I can pause or rewind mine and it does not skip at all. No audio dropouts, no problem rewinding. Mine is newer than most, so I wonder if they are doing something different mechanically also.

I never had that many A/V dropouts on 2.03.. Just the occasional glitch with accompanied pixellation.. Now, with 2.04, I get it every 30 seconds during playback.. Makes "pausing live TV" useless for me.. :mad:

Strange. 2.03 gave me lots of audio hiccups, but I had very few before and I have almost none now. I pause live TV all the time without a problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts