my 6' WSI special

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Bongu

FTA addict - suffering withdrawal since moving
Original poster
Oct 20, 2010
Fort Worth 'burbs
I finally got it installed on the pole today. I just need to remember what my true south satellite is, set elev and decl, then install the LNBF. This dish is a lightweight and I got it on the pole by myself, but I DO NOT recommend smaller people try this. Get a friend to help. I will post pics of my mount once the boss approves of the location.......if you see no pics this week, then aesthetic approval was not there and I will have to rethink the mount.

I plan on ghetto moving it for now with a slotted steel angle installed where the motor should be.

I plan on aiming at 103 to start with. What would be the top 3 after that one for a good mix of viewing?

You definitely want 91W, for a lot of programs ( manual PID entry of the CW channels is required). 87W has the NASA channels, and some RTV DVB-S2 that you "might" be able to lock. :) I'm personally kinda partial to STO HD on 121W for it's baseball coverage. Seems like all the Indians games are on there. Tonight they're playing the Yankees.

Bongo I have the same dish and installed it a few months back. About the only thing I havnt been able to get is a few of the rtv dvb s2 feeds on amc3 and off course the high fec cbs stations on 95 west. I'm not gonna say everything I get but if you wanna know more pm me bongo.

Thanks mr3p. I use The List religiously.

Just set my declination and elevation. So far I only have 91 locked which is either 2 or 4 degrees west of my true south. I will try to lock 87 or 89 tomorrow. Either of them are equidistant from my TRUE SOUTH. I am at 88.2W. I will update when I get the Clarke Belt tracked properly. These WSI mounts are not as squared up as the KTI I have disassembled. Quite a bit of slop in them and the tolerances aren't too tight. Still can't beat them for the price!!!

Last week i moved my 6' WSI dish from 40.5 W to 103.0 W for the ION Network and DW it's working fine on those channels.

I finally finished installation of the bargain 6' WSI. My main purpose was to get NHK World HD - so it is currently aimed at 58W (IS-9) fixed. I use it in combination with a bargain LNB, DMX-242 that I bought off eBay. Solid signal S&Q on Openbox S9. I was skeptical at first, but it turned out to deliver a lot of bang for $69 indeed.

We had a huge storm roll through this morning that affected my WSI special. I am at a high point in town and we had straight line winds near 80MPH. It spun the mount on the pole almost 45 degrees. Was pointed S-SW initially and after the storms it was pointed E-SE. I didn't through bold the mount to the pole for this exact purpose. I just loosened up the mount bolts, rotated the mount until the mark on the pole matched the mark on the mount and voilla signal was good! It also gave me a good excuse to get 103W dialed in too. I had to make a minor elevation adjustment, a minor skew adjustment, and a major focal point adjustment to get 50% signal on my Viewsat hooked to the portable TV. I haven't got a whiff of a DCII signal on the Digitrans receiver yet, but it is probably operator error. I havent posted pictures yet since the wife is still cranky about the bigger dish. I have been trying to convince her that it would be much better mounted in the ground next to the garden. If I set a pole in the ground, it will be for my 10' KTI though.......I am still hoping to find a certain group of ITC channels on 103 to make her happy for now.

I live in one of Chicago suburbs as well - that was a mighty (but luckily very brief, in my area) storm. I thought I'd have to say goodbye to my 2 dishes - fortunately they held up. The Q from my 6' WSI went down from 74% to 60%, and the smaller WSI 9036 rotated about 5 degrees (and some channels lost). No physical damage; luckily - and they're back in business with little adjustment.

I finally planted my pole in the ground this evening. My previous method = failure. Failure on both the signal stability and aesthetic approval from my wife. I am lucky to have great southern exposure and room under my deck. I have clear LOS to the 5 birds I most want from under the deck. This location should be sheltered from the high winds and snow that the previous location suffered from. Once I move the reflector and mount it, I will snap photos and post them. I had to use a co-rotor with an Astrotel Lnb to get a whiff of the most important signal to me. It has an FEC of 7/8 and the dish must be stable. I only used 5 bags of concrete, so I hope that will be good enough in the 46 inch deep hole (40" to get below the frost line and 6" gravel under the pole).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)