My 622 HDMI port died today

Paradox-SJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
San Jose, California
Well less than two weeks of service and my HDMI port calleded it quits.

It worked in the morning but when I came home this evening I had a blank screen.

I soft rebooted, hard rebooted multipule times, same results each time, no picture, no sound. :(

Called tech support...45 min later I had a RMA number and should have a new reciever by wednesday.

Are you 100% sure you have a bad HDMI port on your 622? Did you re-check the connections, or swap cables? What order do you turn on your TV and 622?

It just seems that there's been a few reports of bad HDMI ports on the 622 lately. I've also heard of complaints about bad HDMI ports on TVs at the AVS forum. In some cases, at least, it has turned out to be related to how the devices get turned on and not an actual hardware defect. From what I understand, the copy protection features of the HDMI spec requires a hand-shake of sorts between the two devices. In some cases, if turned on in the wrong order, one of the devices assumes the other is not compliant with copy protection and disables the connection.
A common thread I've noticed is the lack of thorough troubleshooting in many cases. Simply cycling the power on the 622 doesn't cut it. Since your TV could be to blame, you should do a full reset (heck, even unplug) both the 622 and your TV. Verify the cable is properly connected. If possible, swap cables or if your TV has more than one HDMI input, try that. Most RMA'd hardware is perfectly fine, which leads to some great deals on PCs at the Dell outlet website ;)

hdmi

I got just a dvi cable had it on my 811 but the 622 only has hdmi so I got a connecter to convert dvi to hdmi its heavy and causing me to loose my picture have to go play with the cable to get the pic back( blue screen )think i am going to buy a different cable one hdmi on one end and dvi on the other

Before going through a lot of hassle with the HDMI, leave the receiver and monitor in the on mode and unplug one end of the HDMI cable for a few seconds then plug it back in. See if this works. I had the same problem and this procedure fixed it.

boy921 said:
Before going through a lot of hassle with the HDMI, leave the receiver and monitor in the on mode and unplug one end of the HDMI cable for a few seconds then plug it back in. See if this works. I had the same problem and this procedure fixed it.

I tried this and even tried swapping hdmi inputs on the back of my TV (i have 2) the best results yeilded sound after a soft reboot but never the video.

hdmi dead

I got a new cable for my hdmi still won't work also have the beboot problem called dish and they are sending me a replacement this week hope it fixs my problem

mmmm. this is interesting. for the last two weeks my HDMI has workd fine and it worked last night. I turn it on tonight And I get no picture. Iwill try the one methode of disconnectiing then reconnecting but I am wondering about a defect as well. I am also going to try the component. It is not the TV as I have connected its DVI to my DVD and no problem so it has to be something in the 622. I came here to see if they did some sort of software upgrade that I had not heard of.

UPDATE:

I tried boy921 suggestion of unplugging the HDMI cable from the 622 for a 30 seconds or so.....and yes.... it worked. I turned off both the receiver and the TV as well. Thanks boy921....I willl have to remember that.

Last edited:
OPPS.. another update. Just turned the system on again for the first time today and again no picuture from HDMI. Did the Boy921 thing with turning system off disconnecting the HDMI from the back of the 622 for one minute and then re-connect and the picture pops back on. I am using the adapter to fit my Samsung DVI on HLN4365. Just wanted you guys to know.

Sadly another update. This morning it did it again. No pic on HDMI. I tried the plug and unplug and that didn't even work yet. I might try again later. This has now happened 3 days in a row.

Samsung HLN4365 with 622 receiver.

gutter said:
Sadly another update. This morning it did it again. No pic on HDMI. I tried the plug and unplug and that didn't even work yet. I might try again later. This has now happened 3 days in a row.

Samsung HLN4365 with 622 receiver.
My "A" version had the black screen/no video this morning too (3rd time it has happened). The unplug/plug worked. Maybe the next software update will have the HDMI fix. Gutter, I'm of the opinion that your 622 is becoming defective or there is something unusual in the combination HDMI to DVI connection. If you can, report the problem to E* ATS if you haven't already.

Well...I called Dish tech support and got an a$$hole who mumbled when he talked and lectured me. I didn't like it. I might as well spoke to someone in India. this is the first time I ever engaged a tech support person who was not helpful. After going thru all the same sh*t I had already done, he tells me it is a compatability issue with my TV DVI. Of course it worked for 2 whole weeks and the reset of the plub worked for two days. It is just today that nothing worked. I basicially was told to use component (which they never supplied with the 622) until they do a software upgrade.

He could have been a little nicer.

Another update. After buying a new pair of component cables (my 622 didn't come with any) I connected them and also no picture. So the HDMI and the component coming out of the 622 are dead. So time to call DISH again. I hope I don't get the same ass I spoke to the last time.

I did make the second call and what a differnece in Tech support guys. I explained ;the problem again fromt he beginning and he helped me get the components to work. He then suggested a swap of 622 and gave me an RA#. I didn't have to ask nor did he say it was a "software compatability" issue. It may be but he felt that a swap would be the best to solve the HDMI issue.

What a differnece from the ass this morning. This tech was helpful and had sense of humor. I thanked him and told him how much I appreciated his attention and how it differed from my morning experinece.
What a 180!

Last edited:
After consulting the Doctors of Knowledge at E* HD Tech line... they asked a few questions, then satisfied with my answers to what I had already done in troubleshooting immediately gave me an RMA and said a new 622 (INCLUDING ALL CABLES???:confused: ) would be sent via 2nd day air - no charge:)

So, we'll see. Nice guy, knowledable, no hassle, perfect 10 transaction. On and off the phone in less than 10 minutes.

I just installed my new 622 last night...they forgot to put the return ups label in the box so I will have to wait to send them back my old one...

Model: Sony SXRD 60"

Last edited:
what about what is already recorded?

I've had my 622 since end of January. Yesterday the HDMI wouldn't display the video. I pulled the cable out of the 622 and then back in an video came back on.

Today video gone again. I'm going to try the suggestions in this thread, but if I have no success and have to return the 622, I'm guessing all my recordings will be lost including those PPV that I paid for and haven't seen yet?

P.S. In my case the cable is running through the wall and would not be an easy swap, however I also have component and composite cables sent through the wall and could try one of those to see what happens.

The component should work even if the HDMI doesn't. You need to post the brand and model of your tV as I know that DISH is reading this thread and trying to trace the problem.

My TV is Panasonic 42" plasma TH42PX50U.

I ended up unplugging both ends of the HDMI and replugging and the video came back.

I have a feelling that tomorrow you will have the same problem and probaby have to call DISH for a replacement as some of us did.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)