My 722 Died

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

dnero

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 26, 2010
Springfield VT
After a power failure one of my 722's is now displaying hard drive failure tried unplugging it for a while but did no good even tried hitting the case quite hard hoping to free the hard drive up but so far no luck will call dish and hope for another 722 to replace it sounds like the hard drive tries to start but it cant.

Get a UPS when it's replaced to plug it into. On the other hand, the drive might have been ready to go bad at any moment, and this just was the final nail in it's coffin.

... even tried hitting the case quite hard hoping to free the hard drive up but so far no luck ...
really.. and you do realize that if your drive was actually up and spinning (some are hard to hear) you could have done damage hitting the case?

Now beyond that ... there are posts that suggest options to try to force format drives, and see if that might work ... other posts suggest putting a USB Thumbdrive onto the box, and that gets them into the system, and some have said allowed them to format and get their receiver working ...

but its also very likely the drive could have failed.. while a UPS will help keep your receiver going in a power failure situation, and say if you're in the middle of recording something will allow the recording to continue.. its only protection against drive failures would revolve around protected surge and lightning strikes.. all too often I've read and been told to reset the box pull the power cord.. even under battery power, at some point the battery will run out, and you'd loose power to the receiver.. any hard drive that dies under that condition is ripe for failure. But without having the skinny on the interior handling of drive events and errors on screen, there's no way to know other than hooking the drive to a PC and testing it there. (use long sata & power extenders if needed, thus the drive stays *IN* the unit and your void sticker un-modified).

You could use a UPS, as long as you aren't using DishComm or a Slinglink since it won't be DishComm or Homeplug compatible. Also, don't hit your receiver. That just sounds like a bad idea by itself.

Actually hitting the bottom of the receiver brought my hard drive and timers back up before could not access them called dish and they are sending out a new one I think the drive was going anyway last few times after I powered it off could hear the hard drive clicking and the power went on and off about 5 times before it went off for good so must have been the nail in the coffin

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts