My 722K now also rebooting; Waring 981 showing up

Swampthing

Original poster
Dec 15, 2012
Manassas, VA
This morning I turned on my television and saw the Dish receiver on "starting up." No big deal, so I waited, and waited, and waited. After 20 minutes, and no change, I hit the red reset button. Reboots, gets to the "starting up" screen and then cycles a few times from a black screen to starting up, ultimately going nowhere.

So I unplug the receiver, wait about 5 minutes and plug back in. New screen comes up, pretty DOS-like... "Warning 981" with a boot downloading thing going on with bars going across the screen. A few minutes later, receiver reboots, and right back where we were. "Starting up, black screen, starting up, black screen..." I can also hear the hard drive spin up, stop, spin up again, stop, and spin up again, etc.

Have no idea how to fix this, so I came online, did a search and found this thread. I saw Mary from Dishnetwork had responded to the last one, but I didn't want to add to that thread because I wanted to point out that another 722K has appeared to bite the dust as well.

Any advice? If I have to lose everything, that's life. I had that happen before so live and learn, it's just TV. But if the receiver is replaced, can I just upgrade it to their latest technology - the hopper - or is that not a great replacement idea?

This morning I turned on my television and saw the Dish receiver on "starting up." No big deal, so I waited, and waited, and waited. After 20 minutes, and no change, I hit the red reset button. Reboots, gets to the "starting up" screen and then cycles a few times from a black screen to starting up, ultimately going nowhere.

So I unplug the receiver, wait about 5 minutes and plug back in. New screen comes up, pretty DOS-like... "Warning 981" with a boot downloading thing going on with bars going across the screen. A few minutes later, receiver reboots, and right back where we were. "Starting up, black screen, starting up, black screen..." I can also hear the hard drive spin up, stop, spin up again, stop, and spin up again, etc.

Have no idea how to fix this, so I came online, did a search and found this thread. I saw Mary from Dishnetwork had responded to the last one, but I didn't want to add to that thread because I wanted to point out that another 722K has appeared to bite the dust as well.

Any advice? If I have to lose everything, that's life. I had that happen before so live and learn, it's just TV. But if the receiver is replaced, can I just upgrade it to their latest technology - the hopper - or is that not a great replacement idea?

Sounds like your 722k is toast. I would contact one of the DIRT team to discus your options. Dish will replace 722k with another, hopper would be an upgrade. Costs would be dependent on several factors.

I agree with Ross, sounds like the 722k needs to be replaced. I can get this taken care of for you and can review all options available for upgrading to the Hopper. Just send me a PM with your account information to get this taking care of.

But if the receiver is replaced, can I just upgrade it to their latest technology - the hopper - or is that not a great replacement idea?
Mine did the same thing, starting sometime on Thursday... Dish is scheduled to come out today to replace the 722k with a Hopper/Joey setup. I'm glad I held out this long too (I was waiting for the OTA adapter but doing so had add'l benefits as well, i.e. cost).

i'd like to publicly thank Zach! He responded early this morning and we walked through everything to set up a replacement. Decided to get rid of the two VIP722Ks and replace with a single Hopper and two Joeys. They'll be out on 31 December to take care of all the installation... assuming we make it through the Mayan Apocalypse of course.

I was surprised to discover that Dish won't allow a VIP722K and a Hopper in the same home. Dish said I had to replace with one or the other, so I decided to just go with the latest technology and the ability to watch anything recorded anywhere in any room.

thanks Zach!

As Hall said, you are not the only one. This has been happening for the last month. I was one of the first victims of the suicidal 722ks. As I also in the other thread, I would bet that it's a software glitch.

Wouldn't fixing the problem be easier and less costlier than continually sending out new units to everyone? Or is this a subtle way to get folks to upgrade to the Hopper for a $50 charge...

Maybe they're overstocked with Hoppers. Interesting that existing customers were being charged $100 previously but now it's $50 (plus re-upping on a 2-year contract vs $0 out-of-pocket and no contract renewal for just replacing 722k receivers).

Maybe they're overstocked with Hoppers. Interesting that existing customers were being charged $100 previously but now it's $50 (plus re-upping on a 2-year contract vs $0 out-of-pocket and no contract renewal for just replacing 722k receivers).

Maybe they're trying to unload them in advance of a new hopper announcement at CES?.?.?

Maybe they're trying to unload them in advance of a new hopper announcement at CES?.?.?

doubtful, but you never know....I am waiting for the second generation hopper myself, and have been since the beginning....with dish's history I figured it wouldn't be long befroe a updated version arrived i.e. 622 to 722 to 722k....figured the hopper will have the same progression...

My money says there will be an announcement at CES, been too many hints & deleted threads. Time will tell.

I agree. New or "sorta new" Hopper at CES. And MAYBE shipping next summer.

Seems an announcement was made today about a new hopper at CES. How bout that.....:)

Hmmm would it be better now to cancel my 722K upgrade to a Hopper on 31 December and wait to see what comes in January? Where did you see information about a new Hopper?

There will always be something better coming along. If you always wait for "the next great thing", you'll never get anything.

There will always be something better coming along. If you always wait for "the next great thing", you'll never get anything.

or feel taken because if you waited 6 months you could get the same thing or better for half the price....always a catch-22.....If you want the hopper now go for it.....

I did not jump om the HD TV bandwagon until 2009 because until then the prices were pretty steep and the programing before 2008 was just not there....so many people had there TV's hooked up to a analog source and thought they were watching HD, many still do.....even today's programing is kinda far form true HD....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts