my AT9 install pics

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Paul Wozniak said:
Dragon002, what is the purpose of looping the cables (pic lower right corner)? Is it for relieving pressure on the connection?

drip loops. it helps keep water from entering the ground block. it also leaves some extra in case you have to replace the fittings.

Last edited:
arxaw said:
Gives you slack if connectors ever need replacing, and possibly a slightly more lightning protection.

there is not one thing you can do to protect that system from a direct lightning strike, nothing.

you ever see one? i have. in carroll county Md., it wasn't pretty.

it hit the pole mounted primestar dish and the phone box. the phone tech blamed the dish, the insurance adjuster said it was the ungrounded phone box. the phone box and the p* op box were burned/melted, the end of the dish was all over the yard. there was carbon tracking down the pole and the pole ground straps were charred and melted. the grass was burned brown 24" all around the dish. every piece of appliance she had was fried, including the phone system.

it was ugly.

dragon002 said:
there is not one thing you can do to protect that system from a direct lightning strike, nothing.
I realize that. I said slightly

Yes.

I have seen many many direct lightning hits. I live on a mountain top in Carroll County, AR and my house was the target of a direct lightning hit just last week. Exploded the rebar/concrete sidewalk.

arxaw said:
I realize that. I said slightly

Yes.

I have seen many many direct lightning hits. I live on a mountain top in Carroll County, AR and my house was the target of a direct lightning hit just last week. Exploded the rebar/concrete sidewalk.

wow!!:eek: i never even heard of that.

i have seen that before.. not pretty - I saw my first at9 up close and personal today.. what a big SOB - hopefully by the time I am forced to upgrade the slimeline will be out :)

I know this thread is for the AT9 but wanted to address this issue.

arxaw said:
By "cell tower things" if you mean WiMax, that probably won't be widely available until analog TV is shut down in 2009.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=57443&highlight=wireless+directv

arxaw said:
WildBlue's satellite internet equipment is currently $299. Faster than D-way and cheaper, too. Their top tier comes with backup dialup for traveling or if you have a problem with the sat connection.

I mentioned Wildblue to him.

Faster than Hughesnet :rolleyes:

I will give you it IS cheaper than Hughes, but what basis do you have to post your facts on?

Lets break the two company's down.
Hughes Network Systems, LLC (HUGHES) is the global leader in providing broadband satellite networks and services for large enterprises, governments, small businesses, and consumers. HughesNet™ encompasses all broadband solutions and managed services from Hughes, bridging the best of satellite and terrestrial technologies. Hughes has shipped more than 1,000,000 systems to customers in over 100 countries. Its broadband satellite products are based on the IPoS (IP over Satellite) global standard, approved by the TIA, ETSI, and ITU standards organizations.

Headquartered outside Washington, D.C., in Germantown, Maryland, USA, Hughes maintains sales and support offices worldwide. Hughes is a wholly owned subsidiary of Hughes Communications, Inc. (OTCBB:HGCM).
WildBlue offers you high-speed Internet access via satellite to almost every corner of the U.S.!

WildBlue claims superior performance both in terms of upload and download speed and also latency through its use of newer satellite technology. Specifically, WildBlue uses the Ka band instead of the Ku band used by established competitors such as Hughes Network Systems' DIRECWAY. For improved performance, it covers the U.S. and most of populated Canada with many "spot beams" instead of a single, broad beam covering the entire market. It has adopted DOCSIS technology to reduce costs while maintaining quality of service. Competitors such as Hughes have also announced their transition to Ka band satellites.
------------------------------------------------------------------

So while Hughes is Global, Wildblue can cover ALMOST the entire U.S.

Wildblue uses Ka band satellites instead of Ku band "like Hughes" for better performance.
(I will note that Hughes developed Spaceway which is Ka band which they will be switching to soon.)
------------------------------------------------------------------
Lets compare the second tier with both services

Hughes $599 to purchase and $100 rebate
with a 15 month warranty that includes labor and parts. Hughes states We warrant to the original buyer that under normal use and wear the Equipment, which includes the Indoor Unit (satellite modem), Power Supply, and Outdoor Unit (Antenna & Radio Assembly), will be free from defects in material and workmanship for a standard limited warranty term of 15 months* from the date of activation. Any Equipment replaced or repaired under this warranty will be warranted for the remainder of the original warranty period or thirty (30) days, whichever is longer. This warranty is not transferable.

Wildblue $299 to purchase with free install
with a 12 month warranty that includes parts Wildblue states If your WildBlue-supplied outdoor unit requires service under this limited warranty, WildBlue will not charge for any labor costs we incur to repair or replace it (or any component of it) within the first 90 days after the initial installation. After this period, WildBlue will cover the cost of the new equipment, but the on-site labor cost must be paid by you. WildBlue will provide on-site labor at its standard rates and an estimated charge can be given prior to the work, based on the type of the replacement. If your satellite dish needs to be re-pointed after the first 90 days of service, standard on-site labor charges will apply.
WOW Wildblue, Hughes kicks your ass on the warranty

Wildblue offers 1 meg down and 200 up for 69.95
5 emails with 25MB capacity per address
spyware and antivirus for 1 year
dial up for 7.95 but only 10 hours a month
24/7 tech support
12 month comment

Hughes offers 1 meg down and 200 up for 69.99
5 emails with 2GB capacity per address
spyware and antivirus for the life you have the system
dial up for 15.00 month with unlimited access.
24/7 tech support
15 month comment

Also I noticed Wildblue does not offer a static IP. You can get one with Hughes for $20.

--------------------------------------------------------

No for the FAP.
Wildblue 12000 MB in a 30 day period.

Hughes 350 MB in a 4 hour period.

Down by Hours.
Wildblue 30daysx24hours=720hours so 12000/720=16.67MB in a 1 hour period.

Hughes 350MB/4hours=87.5MB in a 1 hour period.

So 87.5MB-16.67MB=70.83MB per hour is what you loss with Wildblue.

That is all the research I feel like doing right now. If anyone has anything to add please feel free. Also if any of this info is wrong PLEASE let me know and I will change it. I am not trying to spin anything and put down any one of these two companys. I think Wildblue would be worth the money but personally prefer Hughes because of the history.

Paul Wozniak said:
Dragon002, what is the purpose of looping the cables (pic lower right corner)? Is it for relieving pressure on the connection?

it is a drip loop, it is so water cant run down the cable and into the house, water wont travel back up the wire

Looking at the pictures it seems that the mast is very similar to the one I have for my 3-LNB dish. Is this new mast any bigger than the one used for the 3-LNB? If it's the same size I don't think I will have clearance for this monster dish to be mounted in my balcony. Thanks.

I based my comments on realworld use of both services.

Wilblue is faster and more reliable than hugenet/dway my neighbors and several friends have had (neighbors have recently dumped dway/hugenet for Wildblue. Unlike dway/hugenet, WB seldom goes out even in very bad weather, and speed is a lot more consistent with WB.

$79.95 for 1.5mb download and 22gig monthly limit. I consistently get over 1.6mbs DL speeds. Sat dealer here said static IP is available, but I prefer dynamic, so I didn't inquire further.

steve615 said:
Here is some more pics of our AT9 install.

too bad you dident get the calamp made one, it has better jumpers (actual screw on coax ones and the mount arm for the branched off lnbs is metal.) all in all looks like a solid install.

RIRWIN1983 said:
too bad you dident get the calamp made one, it has better jumpers (actual screw on coax ones and the mount arm for the branched off lnbs is metal.) all in all looks like a solid install.
Thanks for the reply RIRWIN,we are pleased with the equipment and the job the tech done for us.:up :)

dragon002 said:

it hit the pole mounted primestar dish and the phone box. the phone tech blamed the dish, the insurance adjuster said it was the ungrounded phone box. the phone box and the p* op box were burned/melted, the end of the dish was all over the yard. there was carbon tracking down the pole and the pole ground straps were charred and melted. the grass was burned brown 24" all around the dish. every piece of appliance she had was fried, including the phone system.

it was ugly.

nextime you see something like that, take pic im shure all of us would be interested in seeing the destruction, i know i would be, and if the cust asks why, you can allways state it for d* needs. lol

steve615 said:
Thanks for the reply RIRWIN,we are pleased with the equipment and the job the tech done for us.:up :)

glad to hear your happy, just wanted to point out/mention that there are a few diffrent "versions" floting around, i believe i read somewhere that d* either changed because damage issues or some outher reason to now the metal mast for the 2nd set of lnbs and the (what looks like to me rg6 with coax screw on connectors) because of issues with the push on jumpers it looks like yours has. not trying to sugest anything negative, just making ya aware of stuff you may not of known.

arxaw said:
I based my comments on realworld use of both services.

Wilblue is faster and more reliable than hugenet/dway my neighbors and several friends have had (neighbors have recently dumped dway/hugenet for Wildblue. Unlike dway/hugenet, WB seldom goes out even in very bad weather, and speed is a lot more consistent with WB.

$79.95 for 1.5mb download and 22gig monthly limit. I consistently get over 1.6mbs DL speeds. Sat dealer here said static IP is available, but I prefer dynamic, so I didn't inquire further.

Again have YOU had BOTH services and used them side by side? In order to make the statement that it is more reliable and faster you have to use them yourself and have them working on the same system in the same conditions.

For your FAP "by the way you may want to check that 22G again cause it is only 17000MB" http://wildblue.com/legal/fair.jsp It is still worse than than Hughes
17000/720=23.61MB per hour.

Also probably next quarter Hughes will be releasing the second generation 7000 modem. http://prs.hughesnet.com/1pr/hn7000s.htm

From HUGHES: The HN7000S introduces an array of new features enhancing upload and download performance under normal and inclement weather and other operating conditions.

As with every new product and service that Hughes has to offer, we want to insure success! We are currently organizing a Beta Test of the HN7000S, its features, enhancements and the back-end system. It is our pleasure to offer you the opportunity to take part in this beta.

The speeds I have heard are 1MG for the Home 59.99 and 1.5MG for the Pro 69.99.

Again I would recommend Wildblue if you wanted to save money upfront, But Hughes has been doing this for years. Some of the largest business all over the world uses them for networking capability.

Maybe a MOD can put all of this in a new tread and we can continue our discussion some place else besides this AT9 post.
:D

RIRWIN1983 said:
I had a surprise unannounced visit from the tech that done our install today (more info on that is posted in the "AT9 Weird Stuff" thread in this forum).I asked him about other versions of the AT9 while he was here.He said that the one he installed for us is the only one that they have currently.He also stated that he had heard of other versions of this dish,but,they don't have any of them as of now.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)