My Axbox died, but questions remain

Pittsville

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
38N 75W
Is the green LED on the front panel an automatic HD indicator, or is it just a flag that can be set by the user? I found in one of the channel edit programs where the LED can be set to turn on for a channel, but will it also detect an HD channel and turn on to indicate?

I wasn't able to receive any HD channels that I know of. Will Axbox find an HD channel in a regular blind search or does something have to be done to make it look for the HD channels? I noticed in advance scan that different modulation methods can be selected.

The Axbox came pre-programmed for some channels on 103W. The Pentagon channel worked, and the beaches both worked but none of the others.

I was still trying to learn how to use the Axbox when apparently the power supply failed. The LED is off on the AC adaptor so I assume it's the power supply. It's about a week old.

I have found the green led only comes on for some HD channels, not all... but the AZ doesnt really detect HD channels properly anyways... it thinks all dvb-s2 is HD.

yes, the blind scan will find SD and HD channels

if you have an AZ prem plus... they have a known problem with the power supplys failing :(

also 103W KU has a weird skew. Its 26 degrees opposite what it **should** be. This is an anomaly when it was launched. So alot of the news feeds wont come in on a blind scan. Some folks have a fixed dish for 103 and its oddball skew ;)

also 103W KU has a weird skew. Its 26 degrees opposite what it **should** be. This is an anomaly when it was launched. So alot of the news feeds wont come in on a blind scan. Some folks have a fixed dish for 103 and its oddball skew ;)

By skew I assume you mean turning the LNB? I have a motor so the LNB is set to 0, so if I would have to turn it some for 103W, which way should I turn it if I am facing the dish?

Also I sent an email this morning to Rick about the power supply and a few hours later he notified me that he mailed an new power supply.

Knowing about the previous power supply problems, I was less than thrilled to see that the new Ultra receivers also have an external power supply. For that reason I've been holding my breath since I got this Ultra and I also haven't been in any hurry to install a hard drive in it because of that either. I've got an external drive that has it's own power source to keep from overloading the AZs PS. Meanwhile that soon to be 2 year old Elite that I have is still chugging right along giving me zero problems. Just a shame they wouldn't supply an upgrade for the Elite that would make it do hardware blind scan. IMHO it's a better receiver than the Ultra.

Im not sure but i think all the newer AZboxes use the same external power supply. I think the reason the external power supply fails on the high end model like the premium plus is it has more bells and whisles that draw extra current which may be just enough to overload the power suppy.

Knowing about the previous power supply problems, I was less than thrilled to see that the new Ultra receivers also have an external power supply. For that reason I've been holding my breath since I got this Ultra and I also haven't been in any hurry to install a hard drive in it because of that either. I've got an external drive that has it's own power source to keep from overloading the AZs PS. Meanwhile that soon to be 2 year old Elite that I have is still chugging right along giving me zero problems. Just a shame they wouldn't supply an upgrade for the Elite that would make it do hardware blind scan. IMHO it's a better receiver than the Ultra.

While I do not claim to keep track on all boxes or read everthing posted on the internet, I have not seen comments from a single Ultra owner that their power supply has gone bad similar to whats been frequently reported with the Premium +. Its fine to say your Elite is "chugging right along me zero problems," however your post is completely misleading unless your Ultra has gone bad. Is your Ultra "chugging right along?" I and many others have had internal hard drives installed in the Ultra without issue. The Ultra, just as all the other AZbox receivers are far from perfect, especially the blindscan, however your fears over the Ultra power supply aren't based upon any facts and you shouldn't be spreading such rumors. I truly hope your Ultra power supply never goes bad however your concerns aren't justified

Im not sure but i think all the newer AZboxes use the same external power supply. I think the reason the external power supply fails on the high end model like the premium plus is it has more bells and whisles that draw extra current which may be just enough to overload the power suppy.

power supplys failing was due to faulty components... it has nothing to do with the power usage of the receiver...

the AZ prem/ultra external power supplys work just fine. its the prem plus that has the issues.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts