My beloved drv508 offically obsolite

artt

Original poster
Aug 31, 2010
oregon
I received a letter stating that the 501/508 will be purged within 2 years. Although its old tech, I have to say that Ive never owned any piece of electronics that has provided as much enjoyment as this unit. I buy and sell lots of audio equipment and computers but this thing has defied the odds. My wife and kid have been working it hard for 7 years and not a single real problem. Whatever hard drive is in there gets my highest marks for reliability and performance. The silly remote has hit the floor 100 times and still works perfectly. All the buttons still function and are still fairly firm.

I just hope the newer units last even half this long. Just though Id give some positive product feedback since lately, everything I purchase seems to have a lifespan thats must shorter than expected and not supported by the manufacturer long enough (except with a $$$ insurance plan)

Art

I loved mine too, but the VIP612 has been fantastic, does much more, and of course is HD.

So, is there any indication as to what possible receivers will be available on the upgrade and how they will handle owned vs leased equipment in the upgrade?

I sadly parted with mine when I went EA.

Look for a 625 if not going HD.

2 years? I was hoping that DISH would be transitioning to 8PSK sooner than that.

Their starting to charge a DVR fee on them will likely speed the transition. I wouldn't be surprised if they watched carefully, and when the number of non-8PSK receivers drops below a certain point, they "make an offer we can't refuse" and move on to making better use of bandwidth. This process should lend itself well to calculation.

If I'm not mistaken the 512 is the current replacement for the 501/508.Its basically a 522/625 with the second tuner de-activated.

harshness said:
Not unless you replace it with something other than a 510 or 512.

The 510 is going bye bye too. The 512 is the only standard replacement for the 501/508/510 unless you want an upgrade.

Sent from my iPod touch using SatelliteGuys

I stand corrected on the 512 vs 625. But really, wouldn't you really rather have [strike]a Buick[/strike] HD?

The 510 is going bye bye too. The 512 is the only standard replacement for the 501/508/510 unless you want an upgrade.

Sent from my iPod touch using SatelliteGuys

I wonder if a 211 would be considered an "upgrade"? If the 508 has to go, why replace it with another SD unit?

I wonder if a 211 would be considered an "upgrade"? If the 508 has to go, why replace it with another SD unit?

Yes, VIP211 would be an upgrade. It would swap for a 512 and it would not change the existing account. Purchased receiver will be purchased 512 replacement. Upgrade would be leased. If someone does not have an HD TV, (I know but they are out there) they may not want to be bothered upgrading to HD.

The 512 is MPEG4 capable....the others are not

Pretty sure the 512 is not MPEG4 capable. It doesn't have the CPU power, nor enough RAM. It's 8PSK capable though, which is what DISH is concerned about here, at the moment. Eventually, the 111/311/322/512/522/625 will be obsolete as well, if DISH wants to upgrade to MPEG4 SD on WA.

Then why "upgrade" a customer to a receiver that for the most part does no good in the scheme of Dish trying to upgrade Western Arc to MPEG4?

Or maybe Dish would move Western Arc to 8PSK 1st which the 512 CAN do and the 508 cannot

Then why "upgrade" a customer to a receiver that for the most part does no good in the scheme of Dish trying to upgrade Western Arc to MPEG4?

Or maybe Dish would move Western Arc to 8PSK 1st which the 512 CAN do and the 508 cannot

Yes. I'm sure there are far less legacy (QPSK) receivers out there than there are 8PSK MPEG2 receivers. I think that it would probably cost DISH a bit more money to upgrade all the MPEG2 receivers than just getting rid of the legacy receivers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)