my big dish during wind soap

Status
Please reply by conversation.

richyrich

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 2, 2008
dead
These are the days of a hobby and your window shopper shopoff. Pick any dish you own, select them all. Now describe what they look like during a wind storm; and tell me how the design looks {>>>>; take a recording of dish networks dishes and directv dishes and any dish you own (even roof mounted if you do). WIND STORMS ONLY, PLEASE. post your video here, somebody might have to explain how because it is on my phone.

Be ready, this topic is only "you should see my dishes shake in the wind looking out my picture window!" please.

Direction and type of wind give different results. In a steady strong east or west wind, I can use the positioner to move the dish a few clicks towards the wind to keep it peaked. Strong gusty winds are a problem on the weaker transponders. Never have a problem with 3m Geosat/Stabb 90.

Reactions: richyrich
Direction and type of wind give different results. In a steady strong east or west wind, I can use the positioner to move the dish a few clicks towards the wind to keep it peaked. Strong gusty winds are a problem on the weaker transponders. Never have a problem with 3m Geosat/Stabb 90.

Ah, yes, the wind is blowin' in a storm; the eggs are cookin'; and the coffee is hot.

At the edge of the dishes are a telltale sign of wind damages, ingress; and an aimed direction held. At the mount is a dual directive cover, which the moto's move to compensate the wind back to the aggressive hold it puts on the dish. One, two, directions to move; but not a north or south bleepin. Is the edge of the dish waving? If the north or south face of the dish goes elevated by the biting of wind; can I shake it? No, it pushes the dish off in a direction that is off my accessories motored diagram. Are any 2-axis motors made anymore? Not in any forum i have met. I remember an old Wilson 5' rounder; it had the axis of motoring on it's azimuth; and the elevator on a handle!

My 8' alum. spun; it waves at 15 mph; as the edge of the dish (flat) waves the directional . The wind here is very "hilly" and does move the dishes alot. Less the ground moving the entire assembly over time the wind pushes; the dish is not strong enough at the outside dimension. It is only how strong the gusting is that it will move too much. But at 1-15 mph; it moves but does not "cut" the signal off.

Is the topic "your dish just rolled down the road" and it is windy; or that solar dual axis motors is what you do? My dish is shakin in the wind!@$

Lately, the old used big dishes that I find; and the new ones 6-10 feet; are the same. The design of static materials used is to blame.

Last edited:
Is the topic "your dish just rolled down the road" and it is windy; or that solar dual axis motors is what you do? My dish is shakin in the wind!@$

Lately, the old used big dishes that I find; and the new ones 6-10 feet; are the same. The design of static materials used is to blame.

Those big used dishes are now mostly 10+ years old. Only the strong will survive! Metal fatigue, corrosion, (and wind) are taking down the rest. In a few years the pickings will be mighty slim.

Those big used dishes are now mostly 10+ years old. Only the strong will survive! Metal fatigue, corrosion, (and wind) are taking down the rest. In a few years the pickings will be mighty slim.

Only new ones are left to put in today; and the old ones that have lasted will stay. New equipment; new channels, it does not get any better than they are.

But the wind effects every dish far and wide. The new 10 foot mesh dish is pretty sturdy; with a nice outer static dimension. It is better though, the closer to the ground it is mounted; and shielded with property features like a fence or barn; from prevailing winds. And with towers sprouting up everywhere, to block any LOS the dish has to them.

I just took parts that over the years I collected from many big dishes; and put it together with screws; looks like frankendish2 the mogul monster; but they are watchin tv!

So, I watch alot more tv on my big dish than I pay for on my DN. More free channels than they have in their oaks. NASCAR is on Fox; I watch it for free!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)