My Blockbuster bringing in titles July 10

FlyingJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Bexley, Ohio
My local Blockbuster (Columbus, Ohio) manager is at the moment clearing shelf space for what he tells me is their first shipment of Blu-Ray Rentals. With the launching (crossed fingers) of DirecTV's new sats and the Blu-Ray stocking at Blockbuster in the same week, I personally think it's a wonderful time for us HD enthusiasts....of course unless your a DVD-HD diehard and E* fanboy, then it might be what you would call a piss poor week:D. All kidding aside, 2nd week of July is really promising!

What Blockbuster was that? The one near me has done nothing about bring in Blu-ray. Heck even when DVD first came out they would not bring any in because it was just a fad. If this is true and that one is close, I may have a new Blockbuster to go to.

Just confirmed that July 10 will be the launch of the Blu-Ray titles at my Blockbuster. They actually received the shipments of titles today, of course can't put them out until next Tuesday. One of each title by the way which is what I expected. I also expect that this is the same day they will launch in the 1750 store owned Blockbusters mentioned before. So I am checking out the titles, new releases etc...(friendly with the manager) and this couple is there, yuppie suburbia types (like me but I am older) listening to us and they are like, so what does that all mean. Point is, to most this is still all very, very new.

Where the heck is everyone? :mad: We should be having a parade! :D Don't make me celebrate this thing alone!@party@party@party@party@party
Oh and this wouldn't be as much fun without a little of this:neener to our HDDVD friends.

Actually the 2nd closest to me has had it too, but...from what I saw this is definately expanding what they will have on the shelf! We were just lucky to be among the 250 stores that were in on the "experiment"

Well, Blockbuster takes an extra day being their warehouse is in Charlotte NC and Netflix is in Columbia Sc. Not too bad, especially since I can exchange it in the store.

according to Blockbusters website for the online service.. BluRay in 1700 stores now. Mine had about 60 titles yesterday (1 of each title) but its a start!

Yup, rented Bridge to Terabithia and Blood & Chocolate yesterday. Will watch one tonight. Had our Little League Championship last night( yup, I am the Coach, we won 4-0, ahem...my 4th Championship in a row, yes I am one of them....), then a little MLB All Star Game to watch last night. So yes, I am pretty happy with BlockBuster!

according to Blockbusters website for the online service.. BluRay in 1700 stores now. Mine had about 60 titles yesterday (1 of each title) but its a start!

So if that's typical, we're looking at over 100,000 units in added sales for Blu-ray. With all stores and growth in titles and copies per title, this could easily add 500,000 or more to Blu-ray sales this year- from Blockbuster alone. Even at 100,000 it's significant, because it was only this past April that Blu-ray reached 1 million in sales. Suddenly adding 10% (or more) to cumulative sales is nothing to sneeze at. I wonder how much this will affect the weekly sales ratio between the two formats? From 2 : 1 to 3 : 1? Higher? I guess it depends upon how fast BB buys.

So if that's typical, we're looking at over 100,000 units in added sales for Blu-ray. With all stores and growth in titles and copies per title, this could easily add 500,000 or more to Blu-ray sales this year- from Blockbuster alone. Even at 100,000 it's significant, because it was only this past April that Blu-ray reached 1 million in sales. Suddenly adding 10% (or more) to cumulative sales is nothing to sneeze at. I wonder how much this will affect the weekly sales ratio between the two formats? From 2 : 1 to 3 : 1? Higher? I guess it depends upon how fast BB buys.

Not a bit. Nielson Videoscan reports only retail sales.

Those discs BB is buying have a special license permitting rental use, and can be obtained only directly from the studio or specialized distributor.

Glad you guys like BB. I'm real happy with Netflix. I get both Hd DVD & Blu-ray very easily from my Phoenix distr. center.

Not a bit. Nielson Videoscan reports only retail sales.

I should have remembered that.

I don't watch enough movies to have a netflix or BB subscription, although I do have cards to 2 or 3 video stores, including BB. One is to Hollywood Video, so I guess that one won't be worth much anymore. Maybe Netflix should buy them, to compete with BB Total Access.

Since we don't watch many movies, makes even me wonder why I'm so interested in an HD player.

Since we don't watch many movies, makes even me wonder why I'm so interested in an HD player.

Because with a Player and a nice size screen (My HD projector set up at 109 inches diagonal) and a semi decent surround system, it is better, yup I said it better than going to the movies!! My kids, age 12, 13 and 15 actually never want to go to the movies anymore. "Dad, it's better at home with the Blu-Ray" is all I get and that is just fine with me. 5 of us, movies, and the usual stuff...60 bucks.

Of course if I was young....the whole movie date thing was cool........

Yes, movie theaters are taken over by the young. Sticky floors, spills, noise and yes, ridiculously high prices. Travel time and traffic.

Home is more comfortable. Clean bathroom. Cheap eats. And yes, I have a nice surround setup.

I'm getting lazier every day.

Yes, movie theaters are taken over by the young. Sticky floors, spills, noise and yes, ridiculously high prices. Travel time and traffic.

Home is more comfortable. Clean bathroom. Cheap eats. And yes, I have a nice surround setup.

I'm getting lazier every day.

I totally agree. I can take my wife to the theater and spend $30 to listen to people talk and get phone calls, or I can use my online rental membership to watch blu rays at home.

We do go to movies we are excited about. I was at transformers on 7-4! BUt its rare now, as I would soon sit at home in my chair in the quiet and watch my movie in peace.

Because with a Player and a nice size screen (My HD projector set up at 109 inches diagonal) and a semi decent surround system, it is better, yup I said it better than going to the movies!! My kids, age 12, 13 and 15 actually never want to go to the movies anymore. "Dad, it's better at home with the Blu-Ray" is all I get and that is just fine with me. 5 of us, movies, and the usual stuff...60 bucks.

Of course if I was young....the whole movie date thing was cool........

I agree. My girls (6 of 'em, 4 mine 2 my girlfriend's) enjoy staying home and watching movies and having their friends over. Although I did take them and some of their friends to the opening of Harry Potter yesterday. Ka-ching.

S~

Only problem is, my wife wants to go to a theater to see Ratatouille, just to see it soon. I'm trying to get her to wait until November when it's released on Blu-ray, by which time we will probably have a BD player. I'm pretty sure it will actually cheaper to buy and own the movie than to go to the theater. Figure around $9 a ticket, $4 in gas to get to the "stadium seating" theater she likes, maybe $10-$15 in snacks. That's $30-$40, minimum, for the two of us. Safe bet I can buy the movie for less than $30, throw in two cokes and a bag of microwave popcorn and I'm still dollars ahead.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)