My channel mapping mystery continues, what should I tell the tech?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Dvlos

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 5, 2004
Ok. Last night I was doing some work to try and eliminate the final problems I have with my Voom install BEFORE the tech guy comes out on Saturday morning, so I can direct him as best as possible. Let me recap quickly the problems I have been having and where I am at now:

1) After the initial install none of the channels would map correctly. When the 2nd tech came out he replaced the LNB and it was fixed, it seems.

2) I then realized that certain channels like TMC, Starz, and ESPN HD are still mapped wrong but everything else works right. THen I realized this only happens with my downstairs STB.

3) I had severe problems with OTA even though I am only 10 miles away from the main CBS/ABC/NBC towers. The Tech moved my OTA to the roof and it improved but I still can't get PBS or FOX unless I rotate the antenna then I lose NBC/ABC/CBS.

They are supposed to be bringing a new OTA antenna, I live very close to the airport it could be giving me a "blindspot" when it comes to reception. Even so my signal for OTA channels is like 80-82 at the most, some channels are like 20-30.

I swapped STBs and the same problem occured with the 2nd STB downstairs. I swapped the lines coming from the LNB, same thing. I also realized that without my upstairs receiver plugged in my downstairs STB won't work, it won't even pick up a signal on any channel. Also last night after plugging in the receiver upstairs, I started having the maddening channel mapping errors again, until I did a hard reboot on BOTH receivers and it fixed itself.

So far the only things I can come up with are:

1) Replace all the old coax, in my house with new coax.

2) Remove the Diplexers and run new lines for OTA.

3) Replace the OTA antenna.

4) Looks like they may also change the Sat. dish since when the last tech was out he could see that with 5 clouds in the sky I start to lose signal.

Is there anything else I should have him check? Is there a minimum distance between the dish and the STB? I'm worried that the tech will replace all the lines and I will somehow STILL have a problem downstairs. :confused:

3) if your OTA stations are in different directions and you have a highly directional antenna (don't know what type you have), you will get this problem. Either try an omnidirectional antenna or install a rotor.

It's the Wineguard Sensar II, installing a rotor would come out of my pocket right? I told them I wanted a omnidirectional antenna or a unpowered one with larger range. Also I requested the removal of the diplexer for two reasons, better PQ hopefully, and less issues with power/channel mapping potential issues... am I right in thinking this way?

Don't use their diplexer, everyone here agrees it's crap. I bought a pair from Rat Shack online that were $25/pair and they work fine, signal is the same with or without them. They no longer carry the brand I purchased. If you buy a diplexer to replace what Voom gave you, don't buy the cheap $5 ones, spend a few bucks.

In your situation, you might try a Silver Sensor antenna, they can be used indoors and if you need to rotate the antenna slightly, it's no big undertaking. They are very small and can sit about anywhere.

Hmm... I guess though if they don't use any diplexer I'd acheive the same results? Do you have a link to the spec sheet on the Silver Sensor?

Dvlos said:
Hmm... I guess though if they don't use any diplexer I'd acheive the same results? Do you have a link to the spec sheet on the Silver Sensor?
Do a Google search for Silver Sensor and you'll get a ton of hits.

Ahh.. it says indoor UHF antenna, I think I need something that can do UHF/VHF

Yeah I think UPN/WB and FOX here are in VHF, also PAX which broadcasts the Marlins games...

Dvlos said:
Yeah I think UPN/WB and FOX here are in VHF, also PAX which broadcasts the Marlins games...
Seeing as how close you are to the towers, you might consider the Winegard Square Shooter. Check out this thread, it's quite extensive. Apparently they think it's a great antenna for just about all but channel 3.

I was wondering if there are any Voomers that use Wineguard's omnidirectional Metro antenna, it's powered and it's circular shaped, supposed to have a range of 30 miles for both UHF and VHF.

The Square shooter may put me in the same situation I'm having with the Sensar II, as may the Metro one, because the Sensar is rated for about the same distance I think I'd end up in the same situation with the Square SHooter. However since pivoting the Sensar a few degrees in either direction I pick up certain channels MAYBE, then that Metro one would be nicer?

Wow, considering my first installer didn't know the difference between Voom and Zoom I wonder if he did a craptastic number on the cables? I also kept thinking that the stretch of old coax was causing an issue, but I never thought to look at some of the other cables, it's safe to say that the cables from the LNB to the splitter are good as I've swapped those feeds and still got the same results downstairs. What stuns me is that without the upstairs STB plugged in my downstairs doesn't work AT ALL. Not even OTA... there has to be some major signal loss from downstairs to the dish, somewhere I'm losing 4 or 5 volts or something, and when I kick on the STB upstairs THAT powers the dish or is suppling the remaining volts? I swear I can't wait for tomorrow morning fast enough, I think I'm going to tell the guy to just reinstall everything, even the remotes. I'm going to tell him to buy new tools, and new shoes, everything...

LOL,

Tell him to go spend some money...hehe

Well my installer was awsome, rock solid Dish/OTA mounting on the roof, peaked out my dish for signal and everything, but I would have never thought that it was a cable either.

So you have tried hooking up just 1 STB? I guess you shouldnt be doing the troubleshooting, but my wife called up the Installer company and demanded a certified technician, when he showed up he was puzzled but he stuck to the problem and resolved it.

Hope you have the same luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)