My Coolsat 6000 died... :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

SpiffWilkie

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2008
Memphis, TN
For that last week or so, my CS 6000 has been looking goofy. The box seemed to be working o.k. as far as receiving a signal and on screen display, etc. but the display on the front of the box was all wonky. It would flash and look like it was all 8's. It only appeared to be doing this when the box was off though. Last night I looked at it and there was only a single digit on the display (6 or 8 maybe?) and so I turned it on and looked at the screen on the t.v. and it was 95% green and making an awful screeching noise. I unplugged it and left it until today. I went to plug it in and got nothing. I unhooked all the cables and moved to a different outlet on another circuit and tried again. At first I got the line across the led display, ----, then it would turn into one dash, then it would go back to the four dashes and repeat. I unplugged it, plugged it back in and now I get nothing. When I turn on the power I hear a little click on the power board (maybe a cap getting charged?) but get nothing on the led display. Under the hood, I see no visible damage but haven't poked around much. Just looking for any suggestions.

Thanks (and hope the description made sense)

Did you try unplugging the lnbf cable and then turning it on? Sometimes they go crazy too, and cause weird problems with recievers.

For that last week or so, my CS 6000 has been looking goofy. The box seemed to be working o.k. as far as receiving a signal and on screen display, etc. but the display on the front of the box was all wonky. It would flash and look like it was all 8's. It only appeared to be doing this when the box was off though. Last night I looked at it and there was only a single digit on the display (6 or 8 maybe?) and so I turned it on and looked at the screen on the t.v. and it was 95% green and making an awful screeching noise. I unplugged it and left it until today. I went to plug it in and got nothing. I unhooked all the cables and moved to a different outlet on another circuit and tried again. At first I got the line across the led display, ----, then it would turn into one dash, then it would go back to the four dashes and repeat. I unplugged it, plugged it back in and now I get nothing. When I turn on the power I hear a little click on the power board (maybe a cap getting charged?) but get nothing on the led display. Under the hood, I see no visible damage but haven't poked around much. Just looking for any suggestions.

Thanks (and hope the description made sense)

Do you have a spare LNB? If you do, get it, run a short RG6 cable between the LNB and receiver. Also have the TV on to see what happens. A LNB going out may be your culprit. Turbosat may be on to something...

Go to CoolsatUsa.com site they offer exchange program for 4/5/6000 receivers.

Also I have been TOLD ( never happened to me beacuse I keep them deleted to a minimum), that if you do too many blind scans too many times the box will get filled up with transponders/channels. I keep a clean/minimal file handy for my 5000's and I clean them about once every two months. Just load the new file, and it overwrites all the old stuff. You want might want to make yourself a file with channelmaster with at least one channel from each satellite ( hint: use the LIST on this site. :D), and do that.

you could always try to flash it back to the 1.00 filmware

sometimes its a timing thing , one of mine was cycling power and went to the # and then continued this cycle untill it was reflashed

Pay the difference get 7100 and up.
this is a option but i really like the menu of the 5000 & 6000 and i really dislike the menu of the 6100,7100, 8000 not quite as frendly . but i guess with all things there is a learning curve

I read on another forum that the coolsat 6000s sometimes have a cap on the powerboard that goes bad. People have been fixing them by replacing the capacitor.

Did you check the coax? I cut a chunk out of the coax while weed trimming and didn't notice it. The receiver (3500s) locked up and kept shutting down.

One of our newest members just reported:
i just won the coolsat 6000 on ebay for 33.50 total.
Last week, two of our regulars quoted about the same price ($35 - possibly including shipping).
Get a spare. I have one for my main receiver.

Spare switches, LNBs, dishes, motors... how else does someone debug a problem by himself?
I'm not even on C-band, but I have two new LNBf's.
When I get a BUD, I'll be damned if I'll have any LNB problems! - :eek:

I read on another forum that the coolsat 6000s sometimes have a cap on the powerboard that goes bad. People have been fixing them by replacing the capacitor.

I haven't been able to work on this for a couple of weeks (I've been getting into robotics. Fun, fun!) but tonight I gave it another shot. I hadn't noticed this before, but does this look like some weird glue or some cap juice? Please tell me cap juice. I can fix that!

Attachments

• caps 002.jpg
    caps 002.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 143
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)