My Dish 500 system problem

oldsatdude

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 8, 2011
edge of footprint
My Dish 500 system problem is a simple one but I am not sure why this is happening. If we loose the signal due to rain or a technical issue with the bird, my receiver drops one of the two pix of the dual tuner when the signal is restored. Sometimes the main TV is affected and sometimes the bedroom TV is affected. If we pull the power plug or hit the reset button, both pix return after the receiver reboots. When the problem occurs, we can operate the remote and see the menu and guide and even see the banner of the channel we are on. Just not getting the picture even though the other TV has a pix and is OK. We have run the check switch and checked dish alignment but not able to restore the pix until the hard reset is done.

We have inquired with the CSRs but not able to get anywhere. We pay for the maintenance but the techs want to charge to come in and look at it. We are ready to drop DISH because this issue interrupts viewing of both TVs during the rain fade and then another 8 to 10 minutes of rebooting.

What are your signal strengths? Just saying good signal is not good enough to help.Rain fade is normally and alignment issue but it could be water getting into a cable connection. When you give us you signal levels make sure you give us the transponder and satellite it will vary.

If you have the maintenance it is a 15 dollar charge. Is that what you understand to be the case? Also sounds like a switch or LNB drift problem. Drift means needs new lnb. Also covered by the protection plan. Dish 500 comes with a couple of different config's. Search on the site," LNB drift" you can check it with your remote it will show up on the menu I can't remember the strokes. Peace

Thanks for the suggestions and I will get back to this post with the signal info. I may try a new coax as the wiring in the wall is questionable as to age and integrity. I didn't think that the tuners or LNB switch would be affected that way because of the pix on one TV and not the other. There is only one coax to this receiver from the LNB. The original install was done with the flat coax adapter running through the window and was later run through the wall but I am not sure weather the flat adapter was removed from the line. It may be buried in the wall. I was not in the building when that change was made.

Thanks again for the info.

a red herring argument if ever there was one...if he pays for a service call they should resolve his problem

I would agree with you both. The home owner is out $15. The service company is out way more. It is in the best interest of both to get it fixed. Sometimes problems are harder to find, that doesn't make it free from here on out. Buy that same logic if the tech finds it is something say a Dog did or the home owner did should he charged the full amount or more say the 100, truck fee? How about we do our best and be reasonable. Sometimes it's the tech, sometimes it's the problem. JMO

What are your signal strengths on BOTH tuners on 110/119 TPs 14, 15, 16 & 21?

We checked out the signals and the results are 119 TP 14-21 are 80 to 90 and 110 TP 14-21 are 75 to 80. Mind you these signals are kind of bouncing around. Some of the other TP's were down to 60 on both 110 and 119.

So after a few more calls to CS we were able to convey the fact that we are still pushing the reset button more frequently and the CSR scheduled a service call. The tech found the wire to be the problem, not the receiver. He spent about an hour replacing a section of wiring that the tech said "should not have been installed that way" and simulated an interruption of signal after the repair to show that both TV's returned with a pix. They also installed a phone reporting system that tells the home office when trouble happens. They said we should expect a call if anything goes wrong. No repair charge to keep a customer happy. Signals are now over 100. Working like a champ until the next big rain storm. Thanks again to the people of this forum and the Satellite Guys for the great communication. I have found the forum very helpful and entertaining.:D

Nothing is free except a hard time.

Glad to see that they fixed you up! Over 100? What model receiver do you have? By the way, I was asking about the signal strength on specifically 14, 15, 16 & 21, the other TPs don't really matter as far as checking the signal strength is concerned (unless we're talking about local channels.)

The scale does not give the exact signal level, just a reference. I am guessing at the exact number. I will have to get back to you on the model number and exact signal levels as the receiver is in the other house and I am not there now. I'll post the info soon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)