My Dish DVR is Old. How Do I Get A New One Free?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rogman

Original poster
Aug 22, 2007
My Dish DVR is getting old and I would like to get a new one. If I call Dish to replace it they will charge me for the new one. If I threaten to cancel my service over it will they give me a new one for free?

:welcome to SatelliteGuys!!!!

Call them up and tell them you want to do the dishin-it-up program...in which you will lease what they send. If you don't want to lease tell them that and you will have to pay some but it will be yours.

You most likely wont get it for free. Look at it this way... In your car you have a radio, well now car makers are beginning to put HD radios into their cars, would you drive to the place where you bought your car and expect to get this HD radio for free?? They would tell you that you have to pay for it. This is the same thing. Technology changes, and there is a new receiver almost every year. This is a company out to make a profit, and upgrading customers for free doesn't make them money.

Now I'm not saying that pulling the cancel card on the CSR, which will get you sent to the WinBack division, won't get you a new one free of charge, but most likely you will have to pay something for it, if not at least be in an 18 month commitment.

You can sign up for DHPP then have a problem with you current receiver and get it replaced with a refurbished like product. If you want an upgrade you need to use dishin-it-up but that usually has some cost with it.

cable tempting... then go, cable equipment has been mediocre at best. 622 is a great DVR and only a few features away from totally killing the TIVO's functionality (suggestions and a few my recordings mgmt issues) but I feel they are inching up to it.

Pony up the money, get the 622 and you'll be MPEG4 ready at the very least and you'll probably not have to pay that much. DHPP is not terrible, they replace drifted LNBs, broken remotes and if you have signal issues they'll send someone out to fix stuff, not to mention if the receiver does break (DVRs have hard drives), cheap, cheap cheap insurance, IMHO.

My Dish DVR is getting old and I would like to get a new one. If I call Dish to replace it they will charge me for the new one. If I threaten to cancel my service over it will they give me a new one for free?
When your car gets old, do you whine to the manufacturer about getting a new one for free ? Threaten to buy a Porsche?

Well, it depends on the situation and all - if I was paying $100+ a month and had been a customer of Dish for like, 5 years then yes I'd expect a cheap upgrade.

But it's *different*; Cable companies rent the equipment out as it's part of the service they provide, and the prices they charge include the equipment rental fees in mind, whereas Dish, well, they see that as profit (or money to put satellites in the sky, I assume satellites + installers + dishes costs a bit more than installing fiber optic networks!)

Does a satellite tuner cost more than a cable tuner? That'd be interesting in itself - I know the chipsets/DSPs aren't much different, so that couldn't say much for costs of the equipment.

Either way, Dish is used to 1. charging a lot, and 2. Selling the equipment. Same goes for DirecTV, and there's not a lot you can do about it.

As long as it works, who cares? Our 322s (aside from randomly rebooting every other week or so), are great - it's the DP34 that is ready to die that isn't!

I don't even really care - in a month or so U-verse will be available here, and I'll give it a shot. At our other place, well, there will never be U-verse (and if Embarq continues to suck, no IPTV, period) - that's fine, we'll go back to Dish then! :) I'll always have a tiny place in my heart for satellite tv :D

Switch Providers

For some strange reason DirecTV and Dish find NEW subscribers more desirable than keeping those they already have. Makes no sense to me but then I'm not a bean counter. Must have something to do with Wall Street or they are betting that you won't really go. For example. I was with DirecTV for ten years and bought all my own junk and did my own installs. They wanted $299 to giver me an HD DVR. ATT Homezone (Dish) wanted $149. A no brainer. DirecTV will probably give you you best deal as you would be NEW. Down the road, when you need/want new equipment again, switch back to Dish as you will again be NEW.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts