My DVR expander device

beachrider

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 7, 2009
Milford, CT
I read about the Western Digital My DVR Expander 500 GB device. It sounds like a cure to a problem with the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR device that Cablevision uses. Some reviewer have stated that it gives 60 hours of additional disk-space for HD programming. Since HD programming is now dominating what I watch, I wonder if anyone else has anything to say about this device (or other choices that are better). Thanks.

I read about the Western Digital My DVR Expander 500 GB device. It sounds like a cure to a problem with the Scientific Atlanta 8300HD DVR device that Cablevision uses. Some reviewer have stated that it gives 60 hours of additional disk-space for HD programming. Since HD programming is now dominating what I watch, I wonder if anyone else has anything to say about this device (or other choices that are better). Thanks.

When I was buying mine, the WD were impossible to find. I went with the 500g from Apricorn. If you can swing it, I would pay $150 for the 1T model. Mine was $180 for the 500g when I bought it.

Apricorn DVR Expander

Thanks for the information. It looks like the WD device is no-longer-carried by most places that have it in their catalog. I did get the 1T one from Amazon. I will report back on any trials/tribulations with it.

I have installed the WD device. It was pretty simple. The external box just needs to be completely powered-up FIRST, then the Cable-box can be powered up. The cable-box notices the drive and does a brief sequence (after asking the remote) to bring the WD device online. I now have seven times more capacity than I previously had. I am recording much more stuff in HD, now. I will keep you abreast.

An interim response. I already stacked 24 hours of HD onto the DVR. It didn't even get to 13%! I have already changed my recording of two programs to be in HD (they had been analog, to use less space). Life is good.

I have been using the 'My DVR' device for a week now. We recorded a lot of the long-HD sequences for the Wimbledon Championships (tennis). It has been flawless, so far. The space was added without disturbing the existing recordings. I am aware that, should I need to remove the device, removal of the 'My DVR' will cause the DVR to erase all recorded (and scheduled) programs. The drive goes into 'sleep mode' whenever the DVR's drive goes into sleep mode. I pushed the device 'back' into the cabinet, so that young hands don't touch the "bull's eye" on/off button. I (always) have the whole TV/entertainment center on an (old) APC UPS. It runs really nicely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)