My Early Evaluation of Voom

Coelacanth

Original poster
Jul 28, 2004
Burnet TX USA
Unbelievable:

Install was yesterdeay, 7/27/04. The installer was competent and experienced with satellite installs, but not really an expert on the stuff unique to Voom. So it was properly installed, but not really properly configured to realize the full potential of the product. I wonder how many disappointed Voom customers have been at this exact point and simply never had the knowledge or the energy to correctly configure their service.

I had 3 issues, all of which seem to now be resolved:

1)The picture stuttered. Not unwatchably horrible, but very noticeable -- bad enough that had it continued I would have cancelled the service. But then last night (my first night with Voom) the new software came and it seems to have corrected the stuttering. I guess my timing was good.

2)I initially got fewer OTA channels (6) than with my indoor rabbit ears (13), but after doing a scan with the new software I now have 19 OTA channels, and I'm 40 miles from most of the transmitters in Austin, sometimes farther away.

3)The picture quality seemed ok but less than advertised. SD channels were decent, HD channels were good, but nothing was good enough to make me keep Voom. I thought I'd try the DVI input instead of the composite (the installer had originally tried the DVI input, but it didn't work -- "no signal" -- so he hooked up composite video instead). Later I learned through this forum that the STB was set by default to 780i, which my RCA Scenium TV does not recognize in DVI for some reason. I changed that to 1080i, hooked up the DVI connections, turned every thing off and then back on, and the difference was huge. The picture quality is noticeably better. It is truly exceptional. The "free flight" show on the Rush channel almost gave me motion sickness it was so real. ((to be fair, I never even bothered to look at the composite through the 1080i; maybe it improved substantially as well with the new setting)).

Bottom Line: Voom is Amazing so far, and I am extremely impressed, but you have to have tenacity and a willingness to tinker with things and figure stuff out. Don't simply assume that your install guy configured it correctly.

Himm I have an RCA scenium and the difference between 1080i DVI and Composite are very minimal. The way I understand it unless you have a plasma or LCD tv you will not notice too much difference between the two. Because in RPTV's the signal is still converted to analog before going back to digital. I suspect your installer initially set your TV to 480p the way mine did. Now the difference between 480p and 1080i are extreme. I think you meant 480p not 780i though.. But if I were you I would use the composite at 1080i and leave the DVI open incase you ever get one of the new DVD players that require your 1 DVI port. Also on RCA TV the picture is off to the right a little bit on DVI.

You may well be correct; I can always switch it back if I need to, but I'm very happy with the picture for now.

On another thread, KiethQ said:
One test we did at the store, when I worked for Ultimate Electronics, was to hook up a Samsung DVD (931) player with component and DVI cables to the same Samsung DLP television. When playing a really good source DVD (we used Fifth Element, Superbit), you were able to see distinct differences in flesh tones and shading when switching between the two sources. The component looked good but the DVI almost (and I stress almost) looked as if it added a three dimensional q uality to faces.

The Link

WHat I like about Voom is that it HAS made me a tinkerer, I'm always out to broaden my horizons... Before then I thought HD would be something "nice" to have someday, didn't realize all the intricacies to getting a nice "picture" until Voom rolled into my door. Now all the friends I have that have HDTV through DTV (both have a 4:3 RPTV that look like total crap) I scoff! From the first day I had Voom I liked it, it's been three months or so now, and I've gotten the DVD to tune your TV, gotten into the sevice menu, and done as many adjustments as I can learn to get that PQ as good as possible. I needed a new hobby anyway.

Good point about being patient and learning to tweak your Home Theater.The more you know the better you can evaluate specific problems when they arise. I'm amazed at how many people jumped into HDTV without knowing very much about it; some don't even know if their sets are calibrated or not. I mean, if your SD picture isn't even tweaked how can you expect HDTV to look it's best? There are many forums like "The Spot" that have specific DIY tweaks to help you improve your viewing experience. And it's not brain surgery.

"Fifth Element" is great for checking color and resolution. "The Man Who Wan't There" for gray scale; it has so many different values of dark, gray and light. (after I calibrate using the AVIA dvd.) And periodically HDTV channels will generate test patterns using color bars for double-checking color saturation and hue in HDTV mode.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts