My First FTA System

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mattwj2005

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 16, 2008
Hey Guys,

I have been doing some serious thinking about my first FTA system. I have decided that I will go with one of the following two systems.

They both can be found here:

Motorized Free To Air Satellite system will allow you to move the dish to several satellites to watch more channels.  A powerful solution if your favorite channels are available over several satellites. The receiver's remote control will actually con

From what I can tell I can tell the only different between them is the LNBF. Which one is better?

I was thinking of getting a HD system, but I just can't justify the cost right now. If I wanted an HD system in the future, how hard would it be to hook up a second receiver?

I know motorized isn't recommended for beginners but I think it is best to get this so I get the most channels.

All of this is dependent on me being able to get this cable into my patio door (and it closes of course):

Eagle Aspen Flat RG6 Coaxial Cable

Anyways, if you guys could tell me what you think and if you could answer my few questions I would really appreciate it. Needless to say I am pretty excited! :hungry:

Regards,

Matt

If you get the QPH-031 and a DiSEqC switch, you can motor to say 119 W and watch NASA.

This is a circular sat and cannot be received with the Universal Linear LNB.

I would go with the QPH just to expand your available channels. There isn't much else on the circular sats unless you like to sit and watch promo channels, but, NASA is nice if you like space stuff.

I started in FTA with a motorized system. If you are handy at all, you will be able to get things installed and aimed without any problems. We're here to help you if you run into any problems.

Welcome to the FTA section.

Both are good systems, my first system was similar, the receiver is the same as the fortec Merc II.

The M2 system has the Linear/Circular LNB. This LNB is heavy in comparsion to a standard universal or linear LNB. I have the 31" fortec dish and would not use the QPH031 Quad LNBF, as it is too heavy for the arm, though it appears that glen4cindy uses it... Don't know anything about the Wingeard dish.

As for the flat coax cable, it will work. I use one for my DISH sat, going under the window. Would not recommend using it on a patio door that is used though.

I have a couple other questions. So if I go with the more expensive system that being the "M-2 Motorized DYNAMIC Satellite Choice Set" system I'll get more channels? Also, what if I can't reach true south? I think there is a tree in the way. I know for sure I can reach some satellites, but I am not sure if true south is one of them.

Thanks for all of the great advice. You guys are the best.

Matt

Same dish,motor, receiver. Only difference is the last one has the circ/linear lnbf, which might give you a handful of sometimes free channels on some DBS satellites. For me it wouldn't be worth the difference, I'd go with the package on top. (I'd prefer a standard lnbf though, but Fortec makes the universal type)

Same dish,motor, receiver. Only difference is the last one has the circ/linear lnbf, which might give you a handful of sometimes free channels on some DBS satellites. For me it wouldn't be worth the difference, I'd go with the package on top. (I'd prefer a standard lnbf though, but Fortec makes the universal type)

So which lnbf will provide the most channels? Should I buy a standard lnbf to upgrade the system?

Thanks for all of the help.

Matt

Apples and oranges. The universals should pick up the same channels, they just use 2 freq in the satellite-setup menu for each satellite. A high and a low freq. For me its just easier to set the LO freq at 10750, for the standard lnbf and its done. A universal uses a built-in 22khz switch to switch between the high and low sides (built-in switch).

Is NASA the only plus other than the promo channels to getting QPH-031?

Yeah, that is kind of crazy. I figured you could get most or all of the Ku channels on the list assuming I had a clear view of the sky. I have no problem spending the extra money if it is better, but I want the best one of the two.

Which one will provide me the most channels? I would assume that this the most expensive one.

-Matt

Also, what if I can't reach true south? I think there is a tree in the way. I know for sure I can reach some satellites, but I am not sure if true south is one of them.

As long as you set up the satellites using USALS, you don't have to be able to see your true south satellite. You enter your latitude and longitude into the receiver, and instruct the motor to go to a satellite you can see. After the dish moves, align the motor/dish assembly to that satellite, and you should be on the arc, providing the satellite is reasonably close to your true south.

Is NASA the only plus, other than the promo channels, to getting QPH-031?

Without discussing too many specifics, you never know when certain things on the circular satellites may show up unencrypted. It happens from time to time, and when it does, we enjoy it silently ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts