My First MicroBUD

Status
Please reply by conversation.

DapOrp

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 31, 2005
Ok, I just got my first C-Band LNBF, it's a ACS421. My question is, do I have to use this Scalar ring? What on earth does it even do?

Also when it came it had this plastic thing on the end of the feedhorn with some rectangular slots cut into it going around the edges, I can take it off really easily and see the probes inside. do I leave this "cover" on it when using it?

also, I have one of those old 1 meter primestar dishes, so in terms of how far back to try and mount the LNB on the support, should I just try and send it back as far as I can?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The scalar ring MUST be used. I tried it without and the signal got worse. It helps collect and gather signal and also helps block signals from adjacent satellites.

I recently lost the cap off a ASC-21 and then after a heavy storm water got in and rendered it useless! Keep it on there is nothing in there to adjust any way.

You will have to mess about to get the best focal point, let the signal quality meter be your guide!

could you let us see a pic of your set up since I'll be doing the same in a matter of days.

Yeah... pics!
Since my back went out, I never did anything much but rig the 120cm dish up for stationary G10 Ku :(
*goes out in the rain to snap a pic*

1st pic is the Non-MicroBUD :no
2nd pic is called "very rigged" :rolleyes:
3rd pic is a little something I found at the thrift shop...

Attachments

• nonmicrobud1.jpg
    nonmicrobud1.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 215
  • totallyrigged2.jpg
    totallyrigged2.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 215
  • lookitwhatifound3.jpg
    lookitwhatifound3.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 209
you should post your pics in the general satellite forums under the thread I made asking people to show us pics of their setups and backyards!

CharredPC said:
Yeah... pics!

3rd pic is a little something I found at the thrift shop...

CharredPC,

That 3rd pic.... that's the same antenna I use for my 2.4 Ghz wireless connection from my internet provider. I get 92% link quality from a tower 8 miles away with it.

Yes I will gladly post pics of how I got this LNB mounted, as soon as I can see it actually working. :( Right now it doesn't appear to be working at all. But there is a good deal of cloud cover and storms rolling through here right now as well, (is that why?) I dunno. I'll keep at it, and if anyone has any suggestions on HOW exactly to point this LNB at the dish (raise it up and make it a prime focus? or aim it at the mounting bolts in the middle?) that might speed this up a bit. :)

Yes, clouds and thunderstorms will greatly affect satellite signals, especially the weak Ku FSS signals we look for here. It's best to wait until you get a sunny day (or starry moonlit night, highly recommended by me :) ) to point your dish.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)