Status
Please reply by conversation.

linuxman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jul 16, 2006
North West of St. Louis, MO
Hey All!

I finished the fourth C-Band dish on my roof yesterday to be used by the family with the DSR-922 that I got a few weeks ago.

This is the 10 foot SAMI dish that I purchased a few months ago for $50.00. I repainted the panels, and put all new bolts in. It went together perfectly and a perfect string test off the ring, and after mounting on the ring. :D

I actually built this mount my self. Went to a steel place in my hometown about an hour North of here. (Got to go back up there. I found another 1 Meter Primestar ripe for the taking.)

I had the layout, took the measurements, and went out to where I used to work ten years ago, and borrowed their demo room, cut-off saw and welder. Between me and the store manager, we welded it up. The center mast was already welded up by my friend the welder a while back. (He knows me pretty well :D) Took it to another friend who has a drill press for drilling the holes. If you look closely, I put adjustable bolts on the outriggers to make leveling easier rather than using washers like on the other three.

It is another outstanding dish, and gets great reception of both C and Ku.

Here are some pics:

sami-on-g1.jpg sami-on-mount.jpg 3-of-4-buds.jpg

The bad news is, that after bringing the 922 inside and hooking it up, apparently the power supply has gone bad. I made some length inquiries on another forum that specializes in 4dtv, and that seems to be the consensus.

Here is the email I sent to ATS Electronics this morning.

I recently acquired a used DSR-922. My electronics neighbor and I replaced the battery as soon as I got it.

It had a VCII module in it, and I had both Unit ID's authorized with a subscription with NPS.

I noticed that when I pressed the 9 button under options, the message was that it couldn't find the VCII module, yet the module worked. Used it for two weeks and everything worked fine. Shut it down while waiting to put up a separate dish for it because this unit was intended for the living room. I have a separate 920 for my den.

I used the 922 to setup the dish at the dish junction box yesterday, and everything was working fine.

Brought the unit inside, ran the ribbon cable inside, hooked everything up, the unit came to the warm-up on the front, but would boot no further.

After taking out the VCII module, and unhooking all wires, it did come back on. I verified there were no shorts in the cable with an old analog unit. Checked the LNB inputs for voltage, got 20.4 V DC on both inputs.

Hooked the C-Band LNB up, and tried again. Only got to the warm-up stage again.

I was advised on 4dtvforums to try a rapid plug-unplug in 2 second cycles to see if it would clear it, and if it did come on to do a master reset. It did come back on, I verified the Unit ID was ok, and that I was getting a good DC lock on TP 3, and I did a master reset while on G1, TP 3.

It won't get past the warm-up now now matter what I do.

I am told that it is probably the power supply not putting out a full 5 volts for the micro-processor.

Do you think it is the power supply that has gone bad, or gotten damaged by the VCII module?

Can I buy just a power supply from you, and put it in myself?

If so, what is the price on the power supply?

As you can read, don't know what caused it, but probably the VCII module went bad, and damaged the power supply.

So now, I need to find a used power supply, failing that find out what a new one costs, and I need a used working VCII module. I understand that the power supply isn't too hard to replace.

Needless to say it was a little disappointing. :eek:

If someone here has a 922 that the Unit ID is dead, or has gone bad for some other reason than the power supply, I would be interested in buying the PS.

I will post in the classifieds asking for the Power Supply and VCII module.

Thanks,

Fred

Hi Digiblur!

I have been told by engineers, and contractors that I could easily put a new house on the roof, and it wouldn't phase it.

The kids want me to put a swimming pool up there. :cool:

The wife says no to that!! :D

Fred

Hey Fred, sorry about the 922. At least the BUD is working. With the assumption that a 920 power supply would work. I have a dead 920, but I'm considering sending it to ATS for a fix, so it's power supply won't be an option for you. Hopefully ATS will give you a Satisfactory Reply! With your luck, you'll probably come across another one soon, while Dishhunting anyway? Hope you can get it resolved in short order! Good Luck!

Al

Hey Al!

Yes the BUD is a sweetie, what little time I got to watch it while tuning.

It went together very easily. I like the ones where the support arms need no adjustment. When I put this together, and set the F/D at .38 like the factory specs say, the 45.6" Focal length was precisely 1/4" into the mouth of the wave-guide and pointed squarely at the center of the dish.

Don't know if a 920 power supply would work or not, maybe someone else will answer that question.

I am sure I will get something worked out soon!! One way or another. :D

Thanks,

Fred

Oh to have a roof like that.....I could have way too much fun with that (of course I would need a hole the size of a monster truck tire to run all the cables from there) :D

Nice find Fred! But I have a question. How many c band dishes are you planning on installing? :D:D:D Sheesh! And whats the count on the Primestar dishes? Just messin with you. :D We're with you all the way bud! Keep up the good work.

P.S. Me thinks you dont really need that Birdview. Where do you live exactly? ;)

Hey Iceberg.

Yes it a lot of fun, and I have two three inch holes through the ceiling now. One in the living room, and one in my den. I just keep making them bigger as I add more wires. :D

I spent most of the week getting up at 4:30 AM, getting on the roof by 5:30 and working for a couple hours, and then waiting until 7:30 PM for a little shade to go back up for another hour or so until dark. It gets pretty warm up there after the sun hits it. :cool:

I was just measuring how much extra coax I had left on the end, in case this repair takes a while. The family might lose this 10 footer, because it will reach to my den. In that case they will end up with my 7.5 footer even if I have to splice the coax to get to the living room. :D

I can't let a dish like that set idle.

Fred

Thanks Swampman!

I only have plans for one more BUD. If I can get another 10' SAMI, or another Birdview, that would be my choice. But I would settle on a different brand of 10' dish if it was in excellent shape.

If I can get the 5th BUD, I would put another VBOX II or whatever they are called now on the 7.5 footer, and hook my computer tuner up directly for recording purposes and HD. Course, I would be forced to use one of the voltage operated LNBFs then. I have been told that the tuner will work diseqc 1.2 to move the dish.

For those interested, the steel for the support arms, and outriggers cost right at $100.00, the bolts are around $30.00, and if I could draw, I would make up a blue-print of it for others to make the same mount. With the new levelers I have now, it would work on the ground, or on a roof very well.

Fred

That's a sweet setup...I'm Jealous...:D

And here I am trying to talk my wife into ONE cband dish...and I see this...:D

Don't feel bad Stogie,

My wife put the Kabosh on my spending any more big money.

I wanted to buy a 920 outright, and she said no way. I reasoned with her that I could get the 922 fixed and sell it to pay for the cost, but that didn't work yet either.

She said I could pursue a used power supply and used VCII board, but that was it.

She'll calm down in a few days. :cool: She knows how much I love this hobby. :D

Fred

Linuxman=PM me if you still need a VC2 board, I have 2-3 around here that are still good. Somebody needs to use them before their batteries die off!

I dunno Fred,

Your roof may be strong, but I'd be worried about the house tipping over.

Either that or some tourists will be driving by and mistake it for one of the
Tall Ships...

LOL

John

I am waiting for the day when Google Earth flies over and takes another picture. I don't know how often they do that, but I am going to have a good laugh when they do.

I have had some friends say they thought I secretly worked for some government agency. :D

Fred

Hey All!

The bad news is, that after bringing the 922 inside and hooking it up, apparently the power supply has gone bad. I made some length inquiries on another forum that specializes in 4dtv, and that seems to be the consensus.

Here is the email I sent to ATS Electronics this morning.

As you can read, don't know what caused it, but probably the VCII module went bad, and damaged the power supply.

Thanks,

Fred

Good job on the dish:)

As far as the power supply goes. I wonder if you have a cold solider on the PS pcb? If you understand electronics you can check that. I would also check the voltage coming out of the regulators, if the 5v is low it may have a electrolytic capacitor that's gone south or going.

Thanks Tvropro!!

As far as the power supply goes. I wonder if you have a cold solider on the PS pcb? If you understand electronics you can check that. I would also check the voltage coming out of the regulators, if the 5v is low it may have a electrolytic capacitor that's gone south or going.

My electronics neighbor gets home around 6:00 PM. He is supposed to call me. I'll see if I can get him to check those for me.

I appreciate any and all information. Maybe he can fix this one which would be great.

Fred

Thanks Tvropro!!

My electronics neighbor gets home around 6:00 PM. He is supposed to call me. I'll see if I can get him to check those for me.

I appreciate any and all information. Maybe he can fix this one which would be great.

Fred

Ya, cold solder joints and electrolytic caps going bad happen alot in the electronic game. You may also want to trace the 5v back to the VC2 card connector and see if something isn't a muck there causing this. When in doubt hit it with a hammer (just kidding) :D good luck.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)