My Fourth BUD on the roof

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hey you have a serious disease:)..........DAIDS dishes always in demand syndrome.

Many years I had RAIDS........ radio always in demand syndrome. Got mucking with 2 way radios and kinda went nuts. My disease largely ended when I got my first cell phone.

Wonder if theres a cure or your disease? Perhaps all channels streamed on the net:(?

I have boxes of 2 way handheld radios around here bought largely for parts.... old RCA land mobile ones.... had connection at the factory, among other things they were a customer. although my buys were at hamfests mostly

I hope it's something simple. One that always works for me is tie it to the back of the car and head out on the highway :)

I hope it's something simple. One that always works for me is tie it to the back of the car and head out on the highway

I was ready to do that too right after I hooked it up. :D

I hope it is simple too. That would save me a lot of time and money.

Fred

I Got It Bad Also I Have 7 or 8 Dish's Laying Around. Love To Collect Them , never know what you'll find on them.;)havent paid for none of them but one. and it was 50$ with the receiver

Trouble shooting PS

I was looking at my 922's power supply, it's a simple design. Im leaning towards a bad cap or regulator. When you have your electronic neighbor check it out have him check the voltage of the 5v regulator. It need's to be above 4.5 v or the 4DTV will just keep rebooting. If a capacitor is drying up it will cause it to start to have a short condition, which can cause it to be intermittent. This will drag down the voltage and kill the regulator eventually. I have found also sometimes a resistor can change value and drag down the voltage so check values on those. I don't have a schematic for the 922 but from what I can see basic PS troubleshooting should work in this case. Post your result's :)

Thanks tvropro,

I just copied and pasted your advice into a document and printed it out.

He is supposed to come over sometime this afternoon. Hopefully shortly from now.

I will post his findings, and whether he was able to fix it today. I have an old GI 2750R analog box that he can rob parts of if nescessary.

While I am writing, is there any way to to check the VCII module without plugging it in?

It is a chicken or egg situation. Don't know which caused which.

The VCII module was working because I have a subbed channel with it and at the dish Friday when I set it up, it was coming in. But when you pressed the 9 button on the remote to set it up, the receiver would say that none was installed.

I don't want to put that VCII board back in if it was what caused the PS to be bad. On the other hand, I don't want to call it bad, if the low voltage was causing it not to be recognized.

Thanks again,

Fred

Hey Tvropro!

If you are watching, we are getting 3.45V DC on by pass caps surround the Motorola 68LK331 micro-processor.

Is this the one that is causing the problem?

Fred

Hey Tvropro!

If you are watching, we are getting 3.45V DC on by pass caps surround the Motorola 68LK331 micro-processor.

Is this the one that is causing the problem?

Fred

I don't have a schematic so I don't know exact voltages, but if your only getting 3.45v that's the issue. Check the caps used for that regulator. You can use an ESR checker to check the caps. Or if you don't have one look at the cans, are the tops beveled out? If so there overheating and shot. They may also be dryed out and shorting. Replace which one are suspect and see what happens. Also see if there are any resistors to ground in the vcc path to the micro, if any values are off replace them.

It sounds like the voltage is being dragged down by the bad part. The regulator may be okay.

Thanks tvropro,

I just copied and pasted your advice into a document and printed it out.

He is supposed to come over sometime this afternoon. Hopefully shortly from now.

I will post his findings, and whether he was able to fix it today. I have an old GI 2750R analog box that he can rob parts of if nescessary.

While I am writing, is there any way to to check the VCII module without plugging it in?

It is a chicken or egg situation. Don't know which caused which.

The VCII module was working because I have a subbed channel with it and at the dish Friday when I set it up, it was coming in. But when you pressed the 9 button on the remote to set it up, the receiver would say that none was installed.

I don't want to put that VCII board back in if it was what caused the PS to be bad. On the other hand, I don't want to call it bad, if the low voltage was causing it not to be recognized.

Thanks again,

Fred

If you have a receiver you don't care about or a standalone VCII cage, test it in there. Otherwise it's hard to tell. If you think that caused the issue better to be safe than sorry.

It's very possible the 922 had this issue prior and the Vc module is fine.

According to the Power Supply label on the main CAP, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the Power Supply.

Don't know what else could be keeping it from booting up.

Thanks for your help!!

Fred

According to the Power Supply label on the main CAP, there doesn't appear to be anything wrong with the Power Supply.

Don't know what else could be keeping it from booting up.

Thanks for your help!!

Fred

If the voltages are right then I would suspect the micro. If that's the case you need to ship it to ATS unless you can get a micro and have the tools to replace surface mount components.

How old is the 922 it may make more sense to get a new one or a newer one used.

We had a little cool front pass through on Thursday evening which let it cool down to about 70 yesterday morning early so I had a chance to do some fine tuning on the SAMI dish.

BTW, I sold the 922 to a member of another forum, and bought a 920 from George.

I have it hooked up, and it and the dish are doing a fantastic job.

It just needs a little further fine tuning for Ku, but that will have to wait for a whole day of much cooler weather. :D

I am using my DMSI BSC-211 13K C-Band LNB, and I finally broke down yesterday and bought a new Eagle Aspen .6 DB Ku LNB after experimenting with several Ku LNBs that I had on hand, and that George had sent me to test. The C-Band signal/quality is outstanding, and the Ku is about 95% of what it should be.

As I said, when I get some cooler days, I will do some further fine tuning on the Ku, and probably slave the Pansat to the 920 for that purpose.

I took a couple of extra pics while I was up there. The original ones at the beginning of this thread were taken on a very cloudy day.

sami-on-gb.jpg sami-on-gb-2.jpg

mount-levelers.jpg

I included a close up of the mount levelers made out of 1/2" all threads with nuts for raising and lowering the center mast.

The family is very happy with the setup and that makes me happy. :)

Fred

Thanks Larry!

It has been 100 plus here last week, and just a little relief yesterday (mid nineties), and back up to 100 tomorrow through Wednesday.

That translates into 140 - 150 on the roof in the heat of the day. I am looking forward to nice fall days, and getting a lot of loose ends tied up with my dishes.

Fred

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts