My FTA Project

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Thanks Tron for the reply. I see what you mean. Now that I am on IA6 I my elevation is off my TS by about 2 degrees. On the bright side, I think you are saying that I should have the elevation on the dish correct for IA6 regardless of what else I do (please jump in if that is wrong). I had quite a weekend (3 hours in heat and humidity and could not find anything and a late-night session with same results) so I might enjoy myself for awhile and watch some feeds. It's sort of like a roller coaster-you find something and there is elation and you lose everything and there is depression!

At least it is slowly starting to make sense!

Thanks to you and all for the continued support!

:D :D :D

Motorized Setup

Still working on understanding what exactly is going on in "Motorized Settings" on the Coolsat. I have IA6 setup with 1.2 and saved there. I have nudged six steps east and west of there and exited without saving. The motor then returns to IA6.

Question: Does every sat have its own setup. In other words, could I play around (for fun and to learn) with 1.2 and USALS on other sats and still get back to IA6 since I have it saved?

Yes, exactly. IA6 should now be saved, so feel free to nudge or drive around elsewhere, then you can always come back... that's how 1.2 works :D

You were right it works great! Always comes back to IA6. Can't hit anything else though because the elevation is off. Now if they just made 1.2 so it changes elevation I could play some more. :D

CharredPC said:
Yes, exactly. IA6 should now be saved, so feel free to nudge or drive around elsewhere, then you can always come back... that's how 1.2 works :D

Latest News

I decided to take PSB's advice and do some testing. I had tried the pallet idea and it didn't seem to work for me so I got a bag of cement, a 5 gallon bucket and a 5 foot 1 5/8 pole and let it sit overnight. Although it was sort of unsteady, it was easier to work with IMO than the pallet setup. FINALLY hit my TS sat AMC 5 and found a location I think will work well if I need to set a new pole-hit Echo 3 to the east and didn't try G10 but view is as good as it gets here anyway.

I could not hit AMC 5 on the pole I am on now and after some thought decided it may be due to trees I am under. I think I will go out tomorrow (good forecast) and try one final time on the pole where the motor is currently mounted. Tempted to leave it there because it would save work and clutter. I only need to hit 8-10 birds and I don't own this property and will not be staying permanently so if it could work I might go with it. very iffy to the east and maybe even for TS though. If it won't work then I know I need a new pole but I can stay there until final pole is dug.

Might take some pics tomorrow.

PSB said:
You could make an inclinometer and take all the guess work out of it......

http://www.exploratorium.edu/math_explorer/howHigh_makeInclino.html

You are getting there :yes

Very slowly! :)

I think if you are new to this you almost have to go out and make your mistakes and get that part out of the way. You can read until you are blue in the face (and I did) but after a time it becomes information overload. Go out and get your experience by doing and then it makles more sense in the long run.

But having said that, PSB-I wish you lived in western NY state cause I would probably be calling you. :D

Success!!!

Well I am finally a member of the club! :D :D :D

I got up and running with the motor on the existing pole. I was right-branches were partially blocking AMC 5. First time I did a scan I had UEN but it was breaking up badly. Then I used the old "rope trick" on the branch and the station instantaneously locked in. Had to take a few more turns with the rope and branches throughout the day for NY Network on AMC and SBS 6 in general.

After some tweaking, G10 R came in like gangbusters-getting 66 on "The Tube". Not sure why that is so high but not complaining. My wife watched "Friends" on Fox Arkansas so she is impressed too. I want to thank all here that have responded to my many questions (many more to come I am sure). Especially want to thank:

Tron for the excellent walkthroughs which I used today.
Iceberg, Cascade and PSB for their patience and good advice.

Thanks a million to everyone!

:yes

Thanks! Glad the walkthrough was of help, considering it was late and I was a bit sleepy when I typed it :D

I'm going to have to do some tweaking on my motorized dish, I'm sure, once I get my hands on the QPH Invacom LNB :)

Good luck and have fun with it!

Tron, I wanted to say thanks for that walkthrough also. I installed a Winegard dish and SG2100 motor on Wednesday, and I printed your instructions out and followed them and wouldn't you know everything ended up perfect the first time. :)

Great :D Glad it's running...

I'd like to thank the guys here on this forum. Without them I wouldn't have learned the info to compile the walkthrough :)

aaron01 said:
Tron, I wanted to say thanks for that walkthrough also. I installed a Winegard dish and SG2100 motor on Wednesday, and I printed your instructions out and followed them and wouldn't you know everything ended up perfect the first time. :)

You must be smarter than me-it took me two tries with the walkthrough! :D

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
You must be smarter than me-it took me two tries with the walkthrough! :D
I think it was beginners luck... usually when I try something, every possible thing goes wrong before it finally works! :)

Picked up a Sherwood RD-6500 today at Circuit City in anticipation of the Pansat's arrival. $127.19 out the door-would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap solution for AC-3. Sounds good with my old speakers.

W_Tracy_Parnell said:
Picked up a Sherwood RD-6500 today at Circuit City in anticipation of the Pansat's arrival. $127.19 out the door-would recommend it to anyone looking for a cheap solution for AC-3. Sounds good with my old speakers.
Glad to hear it works for you :-D How was settup? The only complaint i could find on that unit was setup was not the easiest.

I would agree that setup is not easy on that unit but after fooling around for awhile it becomes clearer. Basicly your "video 1" setting is where you get the digital input and then you have to hit another button to choose between the 3 digital inputs (1 toslink and 2 coaxal). I think for the money its a very good unit.

One problem I had (which has nothing to do with the Sherwood) is when playing DVDs. You have to make sure that the DVD is set for 5.1. It took me awhile to figure out why one DVD would play and the next one would have no sound. Some default to a setting other than "5.1".

drhydro said:
Glad to hear it works for you :-D How was settup? The only complaint i could find on that unit was setup was not the easiest.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts