My G19 97W Signals tweaked by new meter. Are these good?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TheHamNerd

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Apr 15, 2014
Yukon, Oklahoma
Are these signals good for Galaxy 19 being I live in Oklahoma? I just found G19 for the first time, and this is my first trial run with my new satellite meter!

G19_1_1.jpg G19_2_1.jpg G19_3_1.jpg G19_4_1.jpg G19_5_1.jpg G19_6_1.jpg G19_7_1.jpg

Not bad. If your cable run isn't too long, I'd tweak the Al Etejah transponder a bit more (wind/light rain might knock it out otherwise). 70+ is perfect signal quality for the 97W channels on the microHD. But if you're getting everything and you're not motorized, I probably wouldn't bother for now.

Reactions: TheHamNerd
I am just learning my meter, and this was my first day..I feel like I dont need to touch it. I need to tweak my 95W dish on G 3C...I upgraded from a $30 meter to a SH600-HD...and I am still learning the meter. It is probably beginners luck on the signals on G19....but really I think it has to do with a better meter with more detail and signal resolution.

Not bad. If your cable run isn't too long, I'd tweak the Al Etejah transponder a bit more (wind/light rain might knock it out otherwise). 70+ is perfect signal quality for the 97W channels on the microHD. But if you're getting everything and you're not motorized, I probably wouldn't bother for now.

We had a good rain storm today...and I did not notice much rain fade...every news channel on G19 including Al Etejah was very good, and was like watching my cable TV...shhhh...I said cable TV......This is FTA area...oh boy:facepalm LOL

Reactions: northgeorgia
We had a good rain storm today...and I did not notice much rain fade...every news channel on G19 including Al Etejah was very good, and was like watching my cable TV...shhhh...I said cable TV......This is FTA area...oh boy:facepalm LOL

Those signals look pretty good to me, but I agree that maybe tweaking your dish, you can get more juice on that Al Etejah signal, I think I´m usually in 72-76 depending on the tp.

Sigs look about right for a Geosat 90cm, sl1pll, and uHD. You might get better on one TP then another will drop a bit. Won't likely get much better without a bigger dish. Think you need a motor for your "looking for a bird to watch" dish! :)

Sigs look about right for a Geosat 90cm, sl1pll, and uHD. You might get better on one TP then another will drop a bit. Won't likely get much better without a bigger dish. Think you need a motor for your "looking for a bird to watch" dish! :)

I noticed that...one TP would increase in signal as another went down, so I tried to split the difference the best I could. A bigger dish would makes sense for increased signal. Would a different LNBF bring in more signal? My 3rd dish is going to be ground mounted, as I am tired of going up on the roof....I learned my lesson!

"Would a different LNBF bring in more signal?"

Likely not overall, but differences in feed horn and electronics can bring some signals up and others down. What you are using is pretty much state of the art, unless you want to spend a lot more money for a PLL Ku LNB (see "Norsat") and seperate feed horn matched to your dish.

Weaker transponders on other satellites will often require a larger dish (1m to 1.2m) for a solid lock, such as AMC3 (103w). The ones you have will do for most. Plan for a C-band dish of 8' diamater or larger. A motorized Ku dish is great for finding those interesting feeds that come and go, not that complex to install, and not that expensive; maybe the cost of one of your dishes.

I noticed that...one TP would increase in signal as another went down, so I tried to split the difference the best I could. A bigger dish would makes sense for increased signal. Would a different LNBF bring in more signal? My 3rd dish is going to be ground mounted, as I am tired of going up on the roof....I learned my lesson!
You will find that most sats will behave the same way "one TP would increase in signal as another went down" you can split the difference or peak the dish for the TPs that you watch most.

The highest quality reading possible on the MicroHD seems to be 85, so mid 70's isn't bad, you might get it a little better with some small tweaking, maybe on the LNB skew and foward/back position of the LNB?

Totally agree that it's night and day differences setting up a dish with a good meter as opposed to using a cheap one, I don't regret buying a good one in the least bit, it makes it so, so much easier!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)